Re: Small Caps

Hi Dave, thanks for the info.

By plotting the Relative Strength Comparative indicator for the major
markets, I can see the effect that Jerry is talking about.  However,
my data for the Russell 2000 only goes back to 1988.  Does anyone know
of a reference that explores this back to 1960 or earlier?  What's the
average percentage increase?  Where can I find Eisen's stuff?

I agree that your "Gut explanation" (great term!) is based more on
stock price than on capitalization.  Is it true that average price of
a small cap stock is less that the average price of a large cap?  This
seems like it is probably true, but I don't have a way to confirm that
it is.

There's no doubt the Small Caps are underperforming right now and I'm
sure that the "flight to quality" is a big part of it.

For anyone who's interested, here is what my Relative Strength chart
shows:

January's Performance relative to S&P500
         Dow     NASDAQ   Russell 2000
1988     Up      Up       Up
1989     Down    Up       Up
1990     Up      Up       Up
1991     Down    Up       Up
1992     Up      Up       Up
1993     Up      Down     Down
1994     Down    Up       Up
1995     Up      Up       Up
1996     Up      Up       Up
1997     Up      Down     Down
1998*    Down    Up       Down
* thru Jan 29th

You can see the chart for yourself at
http://coolhistory.com/ChipsCharts/MarketComp.gif

Thanks,
Chip

---Dave Zawicki <JohnZGalt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > This is the first time I've seen someone refer to a Small Cap/Large
> > Cap effect.  I'm very interested in learning more - can you point me
> > to a reference?
>
> Chip,
>
> 	I don't know if I can give you an exact reference, but you might
try finding
> some stuff written by Harvey Eisen (Prudential?) in December which
may point the
> way.
>
> 	If you are looking for some gut confirmation think of it this way.
If IBM has
> a terrible year and we get to December maybe it will sell off 15
points.  Philip
> Morris the same way only this time 8 points.  These are on the order
of 15-20%
> of the stock price.  Anything more and you are dealing with
something else.

> 	Now think about that hot biotech stock you bought last summer at
$16 and is now
> trading at $5.  You want to capture that tax loss, so you dump it.
Thin market,
> oversupply and lack of buyers might drive this stocks down to $2
before the
> carnage is over.
>
> 	Suppose you buy these beat up stocks and they return to the
previous levels.
> IBM and MO went up 20-30% on a recovery bounce, but that little
biotech would
> have to more than double.  Even if you get a partial bounce, the
small stocks
> will outperform.
>
> 	This is of course a function of stock price, but I think my
examples are in the
> general trend.
>
> 	Jerry wrote that it isn't happening this year and he is absolutely
correct
> (want to see my list of beat up biotechs?).  People are paying for
"safety" and
> "predictability" in the face of the dire news coming out of Asia and
the scandal
> out of Washington.
>
> 	If you have access to indexes, take a look at the large cap drug
stocks, or the
> large regional bank stocks (not the money centers).  These are
perceived as
> "safe" and performing well.  My holding in MRK has gone from a
November low in