Re: Stochastic brain teaser

Please forgive me, oh masters.

Couldn't you use something like the zig-zag function to break a price
series into definite trends (up, sideways, down ?), then find something
like an EMA to describe & relate to these various trends.  Then look for
the average or mean behavior of say, stochastics during these different
"discrete" types of trends, then use the EMA (or something else) to signal
a gradual change in say the stochastic parameters or adjust the SD?  Has
anyone tried this type of backtesting?

The optimizer can be a hinderance and sometimes, unfortunately, you have to
get out and walk?  Or break up backtesting into segments?

I'm not trying to tell you what to do or how to think, likely more or less
how stupid I am.  There has to be something in Metastock that will adjust
these indicators to reality.  A hammer?

I'm over my head here, but aren't we all?  Its a lot easier to talk about
TA, than to do it?

R. Roegner