Systems-indicators

I've noticed that whenever I design & optimize a trading system (or the
same for an indicator) in Metastock, that in various areas over the data
history, the system or indicator does not work so well.

Has anyone devised a method to adjust a system or indicator over the price
history during these "weak" spots; let alone possibly into the future price
history?

To repeat, has anyone had success, using the alert, reference, if, value
when, or other function to get an indictor or system to adjust to changing
conditions?  I have under certain limited conditions.  This is the
intention of a trading system?

OR, is it customary to simply interpret these anomolies or weak spots.  Is
that what an indicator is for?

Are there two types of indicators?  Those that adjust and give signals
(used in trading systems) AND those that don't and give signals (used in
trading systems)?  Any difference?

Is this where intuition & interpretation come in?

Does a good trading system describe a loose "channel" around past price
history?

What happens when the price overflows the channel in the future?  Does
someone have an indicator for that occurance?  Can you design a trading
system that adjusts?  Does anyone have a "channel overflow" indicator?

Is the sky blue?

R. Roegner