[amibroker] Re: Occasionally Parameters reset to defaults

  • Date: Sun, 07 Feb 2010 15:08:25 -0000
  • From: "progster01" <progster@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [amibroker] Re: Occasionally Parameters reset to defaults

Ron,

I will comment on what you've discovered.

I excerpt my comments from my CFT Forum post here:

	http://www.codefortraders.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=620

and edit them slightly for presentation on Yahoo.

--- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Ron" <rondwaa@xxx> wrote:

> I've played around a little more. It seems the afl I write exists in two places - AmiBroker\Formulas\Custom and AmiBroker\Drag-drop directories.

Every new AB user eventually discovers this (or similar with one of the other AB source code directories).

This dual-location-situation is exactly the case in general, unless you've deliberately avoided it by careful use of 'Insert Linked'.

So, a chart pane will reference the code in one of those two places or the other. The AA window also will reference the code in one of those two places or the other. However, the user has to explicitly choose code from the Drag-drop directory to get it into the AA window, whereas for charts the user has to explicitly not choose code from the Drag-drop directory (by using Insert Linked instead of dragging or double-clicking to choose code).

IOW, charts and AA windows reference external code files, as they exist at runtime (assuming they still do). They do not carry their own copy of the code as it existed at construction time.

Drag-drop, if I may put it this way, is not something that happens "in the chart" (except visually). Instead, it is something that happens in the code files, and any file it happens in is different forever-after (just look in the editor and see after dragging one indicator onto another).

The Drag-drop directory exists with a purpose that this form of "outside the editor" editing not affect the original files involved.  (Instead, the file copies in the Drag-drop directory are affected.)

However, a consequence is that the naive user will wind up creating many charts all of which are based on files copied to the Drag-drop directory, which will fill up with a dizzying array of .1, .2, .3, etc. files.

Then, at some point, the user will want to make a change to the original file (i.e. in the Custom directory, or one of the other source directories) and be expecting that this change will show up in all his previously constructed charts. It will not.

Can you see why not?

The reason is that none of those previously constructed charts are referencing the original file location any more!

These facts also have profound implications for keeping charts and code synchronized between machines.

Personally, my goal is to completely avoid having any files in the Drag-drop directory except on the most temporary basis, which is when and only when I'm using the "drag-drop editing functionality" to perform the specific sort of code edits that it does. After performing such edits, upon confirming the desired visual result produced by the new code, I immediately rename this code, copy it back into a permanent home my source code tree, and delete it from the Drag-drop directory.

IOW, to my way of thinking (arrived at after long experimentation and usage), any file present in the Drag-drop directory is a sign of chart and library organization pathology that needs to be corrected ASAP.

Of course, those are my charts, that's my library and my desired organization. YMMV.

Cheers!

**** IMPORTANT PLEASE READ ****

http://www.amibroker.com/feedback/

    amibroker-digest@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx