Re: [amibroker] Correct futures - forex backtesting [1 Attachment]

  • Date: Tue, 2 Feb 2010 22:07:38 +0200
  • From: İlhan Ketrez <ketrezilhan@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [amibroker] Correct futures - forex backtesting [1 Attachment]

[Attachment(s) from =?UTF-8?Q?=C4=B0lhan_Ketrez?= included below]

Hello,

If I have 10,000 and if the initial margin is 1000, can't I open 8 lots? Then what does the initial margin mean?

If Amibroker trades far away from margin call everything works perfectly. For example if I have 100,000 and trade one contract, there is no problem. Amibroker takes the position value, multiplies it with the price difference... These are OK. The document you suggest mainly explains these essential details and some basic concepts (http://www.amibroker.com/kb/2006/08/09/amibroker-for-forex/) .

In forex & futures, the trick is to be able to trade near limits without getting caught by the limits. And there is nothing in Amibroker about these limits as far as I see. Moreover, it seems that it is impossible to formulate a correct custom backtest procedure due to improper handling of PositionSize and read-only Equity and Cash variables in CBI.

I wonder your additional comments on the subject, especially your answer to my first two questions. The final equity becomes -378,320 with 10,000 initial equity with the same settings. Attached you may find the formula file.

Best regards,
Ilhan

2010/2/2 Tomasz Janeczko <groups@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Hello,

You are using wrong settings.

> Contract number is 800

That is wrong. No forex broker would allow you to open 800 lots.

You should use SetPositionSize( 1, spsShares ); to ensure you are trading one lot
(or what every lots you really trade).

You need to read this:
http://www.amibroker.com/kb/2006/08/09/amibroker-for-forex/

Best regards,