[amibroker] Limitations of 64 bit AmiBroker

  • Date: Mon, 25 Jan 2010 19:17:13 -0000
  • From: "Christopher" <ganamide@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [amibroker] Limitations of 64 bit AmiBroker

Hello,

I just went through all the trouble of installing Windows XP Pro 64 bit edition, and now I realize that I might have a problem. I have been using the latest beta version of 32 bit AmiBroker (5.29.2), but the 64 bit version of AmiBroker is older (5.22). Does this mean that I cannot use the same database with these two versions? A new database format was introduced starting with 5.27 beta which is not backward compatible. Is there a plan to update the 64 bit version of AmiBroker to use the newer database format soon?

Also, I just read some posts claiming that the 64 bit version of AB does not allow cache size to be greater than 4GB. Is this still true? What's the point of running 64 bit AB when it can't use more than 4GB of RAM?

Perhaps the webpages describing 64 bit AB should be updated to reflect these limitations instead of making it seem like we can use enormous amounts of RAM:

  # can use physical memory (RAM) upto 1 TERA byte
  # can use virtual memory upto 16 TERA bytes

Any help appreciated.

Thanks,
Chris

**** IMPORTANT PLEASE READ ****