Re: [amibroker] Re: Corrupting databases

  • Date: Sun, 24 Jan 2010 11:26:38 +0100
  • From: Tomasz Janeczko <groups@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [amibroker] Re: Corrupting databases

Hello,

It will surely work if you install 5.29.6 on both OSes.

The backward compatibility is maintained so, 5.29.6 can read old
databases and convert them automatically to new format.
However old 5.20 version is not *forward* compatible because it does not
know new format and can not read it.
AmiBroker 5.20 reads the database version number and it just finds out
that the database is in newer format that it does not understand and it
simply skips reading those files, resulting in empty database. But at
this point _nothing_ is lost. It can only happen if you overwrite
database by *saving* empty data using old v5.20 onto new format database.

General rule is that if you want to share files you should use same
version of application.

Best regards,
Tomasz Janeczko
amibroker.com