Re: [amibroker] Any way to give symbols a friendly name?

Put the Friendly name in the TICKER field (be sure it's not another ticker name)
Put the unfriendly ticker in the ALIAS field

That will work fine with the file / import ascii command.
You may have to change the amiquote symbol translation table if using Amiquote (or not, I haven't tested in this context).
I don't know for the other quote source plugin.

Best regards

Robert