[amibroker] SOLUTION: trade arrows showing ONLY for the current trade

Hi again,

As it often happens, I found the solution almost immediately after posting. And I think it's either a bug or undocumented feature of AmiBroker (I'm using v5.20). In the latter case I have no idea what the purpose might be...

In my code I do a lot of checking for Status("action") and Status("ActionEx"). This is mainly because I use one formula for backtesting in various modes and an indicator (equity curve). Most of the system code is in

if(Status("action") == actionBacktest) {}

blocks.

I had a gut feeling that this had to do with my problem so I took a very basic bare bones system which does not check for "action", inserted a

_TRACE("Action = " + WriteVal(Status("action"), 1.0) +
       ", ActionEx = " + WriteVal(Status("actionEx"), 1.0));

line in the code after the signals are processed, and repeated my test with "show arrows". Here's the debug output I get when I go for "show arrows for all raw signals" or "show arrows for actual trades":

[2984] Action = 0, ActionEx = 10
[2984] Action = 1, ActionEx = 1

OK, ActionEx == 10 is actionExAAShowArrows, as expected. But there's no such documented thing as action == 0! That's why my

if(Status("action") == actionBacktest)

prevented the code (first pass) from executing when it was needed! I changed it to

if((Status("action") == actionBacktest) OR (Status("action") == 0))

and no my trade arrows are showing happily again!

My personal opinion is that every "ActionEx", including the newly introduced ones, should be mapped to an existing, documented "action" for consistency. In this particular case it may be difficult to decide between 1 and 5, but still - any choice would be better than zero. It would be interesting to hear your opinion.

Thanks again for this amazingly helpful mailing list!

**** IMPORTANT PLEASE READ ****

http://www.amibroker.com/feedback/