Re: [amibroker] Re: Is the Walk forward study useful?

Greetings --

I disagree with Van Tharp on this point.  I see no reason to limit the number of data points to 100.

Tharp does not distinguish between in-sample and out-of-sample.  I suspect that all of his examples are either artificial or in-sample -- none are out-of-sample.  If I have truly out-of-sample results, the more data points I have in the test, the more convincing the tests are.  Assume I have run a walk forward test that has five years of out-of-sample results from a system that trades about once a week -- 250 data points.  I want to use all of those results.  I might want to slide a 50 or 100 point window and see what happens over time, but I do want to use all the data points.

Let me say all of that in one sentence.

If I have more than 100 truly out-of-sample data points, I want to use them all when testing the results.

No matter how many data points I have, I want to use them all.

Thanks,
Howard