[amibroker] Re: Functionality I'm missing on Amibroker

--- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Bruce" <brucer@xxx> wrote:

> Tradinghumble -
>
> Allow me to offer a couple of comments -
>
>     * First, glad you found the DateRange.afl on AmibrokerU.com useful.
> As Keith said, source AFL's are there to be added to, modified, etc.
> For example, you might want to add shorter display ranges for intra-day
> charts.
>
>     * IMO, the power of Amibroker is the ability to make use of its many
> "capabilities and hooks" to customize it.  That being said, the question
> is when to draw the line, and to suggest and wait for  Tomasz to add a
> facility - particularly when the way in which we might try to simulate
> it would have limitations.  PLUS, Tomasz always seems to find better
> ways to integrate enhancement requests.
>
>     * With a minor restructure, but a few limitations, I could add code
> to DateRange.afl to set the chart ranges at start-up to the last known
> period set thru DateRange.  I might still do this, but it is probably
> more applicable as a general example of how to do special things at
> first execution of a chart.
>     * I believe what you are pointing out is a valid, useful enhancement
> request.  IMO, this should be posted to the feedback center.  It seems
> like a layout should remember the last range.  It already remembers the
> periodicity when saved,  so the range is a logical step.
>
> -- BruceR
>

> --- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "tradinghumble" <sharp2be@> wrote:
> >
> > --- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "booker_1324" booker_1324@ wrote:
> > >
> > > tradinghunble, no I am not overlooking those software packages. I
> have used QT and consider it more of a toy for that very reason. It's
> been a while since I have used Stockcharts and Bigcharts and even then
> it was only to check the closing prices. The others that you mentioned
> are either limited or come up short of the power of Amibroker. I still
> do not know why you would want to display a set number of bars. Maybe I
> am missing something. Could you enlighten me as to the advantage of
> using a set number of bars?

> number of bars for the chart. All have buttons to expand or contract the
> number of bars and I really do not understand why it should be any other
> way. You must have cut your eye teeth on one that does and have an
> adjustment to make. Old habits are hard to break.

> to display bars from xx/xx/xx to xx/xx/xx or say last 3 months, 6
> months, 2 years, etc... on a chart-by-chart basis... I always wondered
> why this is not available in Amibroker.

> find it very annoying to have a layout with multiple charts, different
> time frames and having to readjust every chart to my favorite number of
> bars everytime I open Amibroker (as it will load the number of bars
> defined in Parameters)...

> including some well know names such as Tradestation and QuoteTracker (as
> an example), Ninja Trader would be yet another example... if you want to
> also have a few web-based charting packages please look at
> [...]

Bruce - couldn't agree more with your comments about Amibroker. Please let me know if there's an easy way to modify your excellent AFL to make it persist the settings so it will 'remember' next time it opens.

I will also post my feedback to the AB Feedback site.

**** IMPORTANT PLEASE READ ****

http://www.amibroker.com/feedback/