[amibroker] Re: BarsSince question

Barry -

I thought I'd take this one since I'm here.  I'm not going to answer your BarsSince() question directly, but rather address your goal from your first paragraph since BarsSince appears to be kind of a detour.

But, briefly, you have described a situation where there is a "ripple effect".  For example, if you are on a buy, whether or not you take the stop and where you take it affects the stop for the subsequent sell.  And then, it affects the subsequent buy ... and so on.  IOW, it ripples through.

There are a couple of approaches to handling this, but the easiest to see is looping over bars.  This ripple is problematic for basic array logic.  Assuming that you just want a model for a solution and not a lengthy explanation of the array considerations, I suggest that you take a look at the following link to the Amibroker site members area.  Tomasz posted a code example for June Stock & Commodities that included a "fixed percentage" trailing stop.  Interesting approach also in handling the system state in the "trailstop" variable -

http://www.amibroker.com/members/traders/06-2009.html

I think that this is what you want.  Hope this helps,
BruceR

**** IMPORTANT PLEASE READ ****

http://www.amibroker.com/feedback/