[amibroker] Managing large Databases (PremiumData and IQFeed)

Title: Managing large Databases (PremiumData and IQFeed)

Configuring Databases and Preferences, and finding optimum settings for each user-application, has become a difficult task. Except for scattered bits and pieces I can't find (correct me if i am wrong) an explanation  on this. Note that the requirement may be different for different uses, i.e., for research I need maximum history, while for trading I might need only a few days or a few weeks of data depending on the trading system.

An additional problem I have is that many afl programs lock up (due to loops, Backfill, missing RT Data, etc.) when they startup with a large DB and require a CTRL-ALT-DEL to exit AB. This can lead to an unstable reload and corrupted DB. The only way around this, afaik, is to maintain different DBs, for the same data source, and update each everyday. This is a real error-prone way of doing things that can lead lots of lost time and even corrupted DBs, and requires multiple backups.

I would like to maintain just one DB for each Data source and set DB Settings and Preferences from the code - if this is possible. Of course, when closing down the Local DB it should not be trimmed down to the data history that was used.

btw, Perhaps someone can explain where IQFeed keeps its data... Is there only a local DB for IQFeeds?

If you have solved these problems or can make helpful suggestions, please jump in :-)

Thanks,

herman

**** IMPORTANT PLEASE READ ****

http://www.amibroker.com/feedback/