From: Herman
Sent: Saturday, August 01, 2009 2:29 PM
Subject: Re[2]: [amibroker] Re: Windows 7

Thank you Tomasz,

this is very helpful!

You don't mention RAM. Assuming that Win7 matches XP in performance, if Win7 has greater ram capability it might be worth the change.

What is the situation for drivers? Can all the old drivers be used or will developers have to rework their drivers?

Any change of getting stuck with a new OS that is not supported by everyone?

herman

Saturday, August 1, 2009, 6:25:57 AM, you wrote:

> Hello,

> It is somewhat hard to tell and depends on what you have now.

> Despite what some people say that Windows 7 is just "service pack" for Vista,

> Windows 7 brings in fact several important improvements over Vista.

> One of most critical things is graphics.

> Vista was poor performer because MS dropped hardware acceleration for GDI

> in Vista. Now Win7 brings GDI hardware acceleration back plus other improvements.

> More about this:

> http://blogs.msdn.com/e7/archive/2009/04/25/engineering-windows-7-for-graphics-performance.aspx

> So if you are using Vista now, you would see better performance using Windows 7, there is no doubt about this.

> On the other hand if you are using XP, I doubt if you will see the difference in speed.

> Myself I am using Windows 7 RC on my notebook, it works fine and AmiBroker runs

> on it almost flawlessly (there is one interference with automated trading

> interface and open Interpretation window

> as in Vista, and it is investigated now)

> It feels a lot snappier than Vista, but this is fresh install and fresh installs are always fast.

> I have in fact already preordered Win7, but my situation is a little different since I

> _must_ use new systems to verify if AmiBroker works OK.

> I will be also investigating new Direct2D immediate mode graphics APIs that Win7 brings

> for possible implementation in AmiBroker, but nothing in this area has been settled yet.

> Best regards,

> Tomasz Janeczko

> amibroker.com

>>> Hello,

>>> I am running Windows 7 RC 64 bit edition for about 3 weeks and AmiBroker works fine on it.

>>> I have noticed some issues within Windows 7 itself (affects all applications), but these are likely

>>> to be fixed in official W7.

>>> Best regards,

>>> Tomasz Janeczko

>>> amibroker.com