[amibroker] Re: Walk Forward Issue

Hi Keith,
And many thanks for your excellent commonsense suggestions. Following this up has proved to be a useful learning experience (including a fair amount of re-learning!).
The first lesson is that one should always do some optimisation and backtesting before leaping into a full-blown WF analysis. The second point is that I should not expect max profit when optimising on a different parameter - RAR/MDD in this case. However, I would not have expected the profit to be too far down from the max - though this may be wishful thinking!.
In case anyone is interested this is a summary of what I found by optimising individual steps from the WF process:-
The detailed results and the 3-D graph for my IS1 period showed large plateau areas, with over 100 cases giving the same (max) RAR/MDD. Most of these had the same profit figure (533), but another group (still with the same RAR/MDD) had a lower profit figure. Lesson no.3 was that my optimisation steps were closer spaced than necessary.
Similarly, in IS2 a large number of cases had the same RAR/MDD (16.52) and profit(474). Another group had RAR/MDD at 14.75 and P of 360. Then a third set, and then a fourth with RAR/MDD at 13.14 and P at 1126. This was the profit figure that showed up in the OOS1 results in the WF. It remains a puzzle to me, because a Backtest in OOS1 using the optimum parameters from IS1 gave a profit of 474. It might remain an unsolved mystery.
Finally, I guess that with a system like this that produces only a small number of trades in a 6 month period, I should consider a more complex fitness function - perhaps (e.g.) combining RAR/MDD with Profit in some way.
Thanks again

Brian

**** IMPORTANT PLEASE READ ****

http://www.amibroker.com/feedback/