Re: [amibroker] Timing test example between Arrays and Loops

Hello,

Also, as to why if() statement inside loop is faster than calling Max:
Well, people coming from "C" language tend to think that Max is a macro.
But it is not in AFL because it is array function and can't be implemented
as macro. Actually Max has different execution paths depending
on arguments, so it is actually a virtual function that chooses different
code paths depending on arguments provided. If both are scalars,
then Max is computed as scalar, if both are arrays then Max is computed
as array operator and if one is array and second is scalar then
result is array but scalar has to be applied separately to each element
of the other argument.

Now, your code calls Max() funciton the number of bars times
and each call involves above parameter checking and call overhead
regardless if new maximum is here or not.

if() - version does the assignment only when new max is found.
Since all arithmetic, logic and comparison operators are hand
optimized the check alone (<) is very fast
and assuming that new maximum occurs only rarely doing comparison
alone means a lot less work than virtual function call.

Best regards,
Tomasz Janeczko
amibroker.com