Re: [amibroker] Re: Do all trading systems stop working? - Howard Bandy's book

Without getting into endless mental gymnastics, consider a simple mechanical system - crossing of moving averages.  This system has been known and used for "ages".  How well does it work?  Perhaps as well as it did on day one or perhaps not.  In either case, a critical statistical analysis for a reasonable number of stocks over various test periods is needed to prove or disprove.  Has this been done?  As Sagan famously said, "Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence".  Where is the published evidence?  Absent such evidence, everybody will do what works, or feels OK, or etc. and to a first approximation no amount of discussion will change a single mind.

Bill
----- Original Message -----
Sent: June 05, 2009 11:02 PM
Subject: Re: [amibroker] Re: Do all trading systems stop working? - Howard Bandy's book

Yuki,

You are spot on.  I know that traders who have consistent winning
strategies are tracked by their brokers, and in some cases the brokers
shadow their trades.  They do not even have to know their algorithm,
just place the same orders in a shadow account.  All brokerages that I
know of have the ability to make these shadow accounts.

However, that does not mean that all will do it.  Some brokers pride
themselves in not taking the other side of their customers trades, or
doing anything that could be considered a conflict of interest.  They
are known as fill and bill brokers.

One trader I know has been contacted regularly by his brokerage house,
asking for his methods.  Many trading houses look for consistent
winners and offer to let them trade the house money for 50% of the
profits -- and the trader is not responsible for the loses --except he
would lose his job.

However, I believe the biggest threat to the "edge" will come from
machines that can out pattern recognize, out compute odds, and run
emotion free.  The machines are getting there, and I don't want to
take the other side of their trades when they do.

Also any good algorithm that becomes public will be put into a
machine, and as long as it works, it will drain the profits out of the
trade.  It does not even require a "Big Boy", just a bunch of little
traders will kill it since the machine trading will be additive across
machines.  As long as the machine is making money, who would unplug it?

In the mean time, trade on.  Life is short, and we might not live to
see that day anyway.

Best regards,
Dennis

**** IMPORTANT PLEASE READ ****