Re: [amibroker] Re: referencing code

shorton=0;
for (i=0; i<whatever; i++){
  buy = a and b and c and shorton==1; // double = for conditional statement
  shorton=1;  // shorton will be 1 for all i's except the first one
}

noah.bender wrote:

my theory was initially to reference the shorton.But I am running into problems. I have tried using the ref function and the barcount function with no luck.

It seems the code always reverts back to the initialization value of zero. It is really frustrating. And I can't move the calculation of shorton before the buy code.

the code has
shorton=0;

the buy = condition a b and c and shorton=1

// shorton only gets set here
if (xyz )

so how do i reference the shorton being 1 in the buy code without automatically reverting to zero because of the initialization
--- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxps.com, "Mike" <sfclimbers@...> wrote:

> No. That is not correct.
>
> It is the same variable being used both inside and outside of the loop. It will have whatever value was last set on it regardless of whether the value was set from within the loop or not.
>
> Based on your sample code, the first reference to shorton within the loop will see a value of zero, due to the initialization made before the loop. Since the last line of your loop then sets shorton to one, all subsequent references (even after the loop completes) will see a one unless you again change the value.
>
> You might want to post a complete sample and ask for help. It doesn't have to be your holy grail system, just reproduce the problem in a simplified script and post that.
>
> Mike
>
> --- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxps.com, "noah.bender" <knowabender@> wrote:
> >
> > i think i found the answer to my question by using a loop. If I am a correct when using a loop as long as the variable is with in the loop as long as the loop is running then it will not use value of the variable from out side the loop.
> >
> > for example
> > shorton =0 ;
> > for (i=o......)
> > (
> > code referencing shorton
> >
> > shorton =1;
> > )
> > as long as the loop keeps runnning the shorton variable code in the begining will reference the code in the loop and not the code in that set shorton =0; before the loop.
> >
> > is that correct??
> >
> > thanks
> >
> > --- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxps.com, Noah Bender <knowabender@> wrote:
> > >
> > > i am trying to call a variable in the code that gets set later on in the
> > > code, i see i can't do that. so i set the variable to 0. the problem is that
> > > the variable later on gets set to 1 and I want to call the variable when it
> > > is set to 1 and I can't seem to do that.
> > > basically looks like this
> > >
> > > global Shorton;
> > > Shorton=0;
> > > Buy = (BarsSince(signalBar) < waitPeriod) Shorton==0;
> > > //later on in code
> > > shorton=1;
> > > the problem is that later on sometimes the shorton gets set to 1. which is
> > > what I want the buy code to reference. but it automatically references the
> > > shorton as 0 because that is what it is set at the beginning.
> > > I also can't put the buy code after the shorton is set, it will screw up my
> > > code for the short side.
> > >
> > > Is there anyway to call the value when it is 1 and not 0
> > >
> > > I am using an intraday chart.
> > > can anyone help me???

**** IMPORTANT PLEASE READ ****

http://www.amibroker.com/feedback/