Re: [amibroker] Re: testing multiple systems simultaneously

Hi guys,

The optimal portfolio is a fascinating topic.

I gave been using some of the Vince ideas for my futures trading
and one of the biggest advantages it gives me is a way of keeping
myself sane - knowing how to size a position when you are getting
crushed or elated is important. It's great having a number to tell
you how greedy or scared to be!

To give you an idea of where I find optimal f useful:
    - I stay well short of the optimal amount.
    - Where it does come in useful is at the portfolio level.
    - I trade a number of systems in futures:
         - intraday Index and Bonds - Asian session
         - intraday Bonds  - European session bonds
        - EOD Curve ( 3Yr Bond / 10 year Bond )
        - EOD Bill Spread ( 90 day treasuries ) (This has been only
            recent so no stats  yet - trades go for weeks )

Not sure if you would consider these as uncorrelated, but there
seems to be a measurable advantage so far in optimising at the
portfolio level. Not sure if this is an artifact or something that I
can use. I've been doing it in spreadsheets and it is a lot of work
to get it right. I also suspect that the number of intraday trades which
are needed to be significant is way more than other time frames.

The other thing I've noticed about optimal f ( at the itnraday level at
least ) is that  it is moves around more than I expected it to. Once
again this could be due to what i think is greater noise at the intraday level.
To give you an example, after 50 backtested trades I get on optimal
f of 0.55. Vince suggests that 30 trades should be sufficient - but he
does acknowledge that opt f does move around. Anyhow, now I'm
trading, and I get to
 - trade 80    ( 50 backtest, 30 actual ) opt f is 0.60
  - trade 109 ( 50 bt, 59 actual ) opt f is 0.36
  - trade 191 ( 50 bt, 141 actual ) f is 0.45 and finally seems to be
getting a bit more stable.

What is really dangerous ( or seems to be in my limited experience ) is
that the largest losing trade can take you out when trading at optimal f.
If you are trading a non-discretionary trading system at full f, then
you MUST pull the plug if you see the biggest losing trade coming your
way. I can't remember if Vince mentions it, but the backtesting/calcuation
of optimal f assumes that the biggest loss is in the past. Experience seems
to indicate other wise!

I've put none of this into AB yet. I've still got the trial version! As soon
as I can tear my self away from exploring it I will buy it!