[amibroker] Re: what would you do differently with Amibroker

ACE,

I have been mulling over your question, because I feel I didn't give you an adequate answer, and here is my update.

Sometimes people say that AB can do anything except 'make the coffee' but this isn't really a helpful statement.

AB can not do anything and everything that every user wants to do with it, whether justified or not (refer to the feedback suggestion list) but neither can any other trading software in existence. Some of the things that people wish for are convenience issues, some are nonsense and some are structural e.g. recent discussion by JanhausDresden point out the limitations that AB has re handling data with resolutions below 1 sec.
This is a limitation at the structural level so, according to my lay calculations, no one is going to go out and provide their own solution for this.

Clearly AB can not do 'everything trading', and never will be able to ... IT is developing at a furious pace and there is no let up in sight.

However, AB does not exist in an IT vacuum and Tomasz has cleverly provided several doorways to and from the surrounding computer environment (Developer Kit, COM interface etc) so that there are often solutions to our problems, albiet not always the optimum solution and certainly not the optimum solution for non-programmers e.g. AB does not utilize all available processing cores in the way that some would like it to but individuals have created their own solutions to make use of the extra power that their computers provide e.g. FTonnetti has posted a file, to this board, that uses multiple cores for optimisation, and there was some discussion on the subject.

So it comes down to an individual basis as to whether AB has limits that we are hitting up against regularly.

In my case, AB's capabilities far exceed my needs so it is not a limiting factor in my trading.

The only place in AB that I feel constrained is in the Backtester and that is because of philosophical issues (fortunately or unfortunately I am stubborn and don't like to compromise my trading philosophies).
However it seems to be Tomasz's intent that many of us would end up making our own solutions, whenever we felt constrained, and that is what I intend doing (if you follow the forum carefully you will find out that Tomasz sometimes helps us out if we point out some valid constraints to him). In fact I think we do reach a point where off the shelf solutions no longer satisfy and that is when AB comes into its own.

So, in short, any mistakes I have made had very little to do with AB and more to do with my temperament.

The real development has occurred within myself.

I was always very independent and sceptical of others 'solutions' so while this has served me well at the same time I made the mistake of not referencing the ideas of others enough.
I was too independent and only read sporadically whereas I should have implemented a reading programme i.e. regular and consistent reading of other traders e.g. I spent a lot of effort thinking about evaluation metrics and playing around with related ideas. On the plus side, I came up with some unique insights on the subject but, at the same time, it wasn't until I read RalphVince that it all came together for me ( he catipulted my years ahead).

The other major change I have gone through is that I now accept that if I want to progress in certain areas then I will have to do my own development, albeit using existing tools like AB or RMath .... neither Tomasz nor anyone else can take me any further .. I am on my own from here except for the tools and ideas that others have provided.

**** IMPORTANT PLEASE READ ****

http://www.amibroker.com/feedback/