Re: [amibroker] Re: Premium Data stocks/futures/fx in a single AB database

  • To: amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [amibroker] Re: Premium Data stocks/futures/fx in a single AB database
  • From: Richard Dale <richard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 17 Apr 2009 20:19:36 +0800

Paolo's looking for answers outside the box (he's already asked!).

Unfortunately due to differences and limitations in AmiBroker's classification system we aren't able to combine multiple stocks, futures and fx at the same time.   For example, we classify Australian stocks according to GICS, US stocks according to ICB and Futures according to an entirely different system altogether.

We do intend to enhance AmiBroker support with a native plugin in the future, which may offer such a feature if it's feasible to do so...   One thing we need to be aware of is the symbol overlaps between different stock exchanges.  AmiBroker cannot handle two securities with the same symbol, although this is virtually impossible between a single stock exchange/futures/forex but quote possible between multiple stock exchanges.

We would recommend you contact AmiBroker and suggest to them that they need to offer a far more extensible classification system than the current two-level system available now.  It has been flagged as a suggestion for a few years now.

The current two-level classification system is well past its use-by date (it was modelled on a virtually unknown classification system used by Hemscott which was adopted by Yahoo which has since moved to a three level system anyway after being taken over by Morningstar).

If you want a more extensible classification system, put up a note here asking for it:
http://www.amibroker.com/feedback/view_bug.php?bug_id=313

Best regards,
Richard Dale.
Norgate Investor Services
- Premium quality Stock, Futures and Foreign Exchange Data for
  markets in Australia, Asia, Canada, Europe, UK & USA -
www.premiumdata.net