[amibroker] Amibroker features-realtime quotes, fundamentals table format, symbols issues...

  • To: amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: [amibroker] Amibroker features-realtime quotes, fundamentals table format, symbols issues...
  • From: "ben.wiens" <ben@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 07 Apr 2009 16:39:41 -0000

I am evaluating Amibroker primarily for trend trading purposes. I need a
big picture understanding of the issues involved in using more
sophisticated programs for trading which are not supplied in Amibroker
User's Guide. Till now I've been using the real time Java charting and
Level 2 quotes from my brokerage, Canadian BMO Investorline, and also
Google, Yahoo, QuoteMedia etc but can see that I need PC based program.
Also I hate the slow Java charts that tend to lock up. I need a larger
portfolio manager than 10 stocks in length, ability to make notes,
better charting. Investorline unfortunately doesn't allow me to import
data into Amibroker like TD Ameritrade allows. But in moving over to
Amibroker I can't make it all work to my liking. Already searched Yahoo
list. Here are some issues I would appreciate comments on.

1. Symbols...seems every data supplier is using different stock symbols
for non US stocks. If I use Yahoo for historical intraday data do I have
to stick with real time data providers that use same symbols? Are
different symbols a conspiracy to keep us with the same data providers?
I've looked into a lot of paid services but can't find a single
combination of world stock price packages which use Yahoo symbols for
compatibility with historical price importing from Yahoo.

2. Free real time data...is there really a way I can import real time
data from Yahoo for free. I've tried everything mentioned on Internet
and nothing works. Are the free versions just importing 1 minute
intraday data or true realtime? Using Yahoo data means symbols are
compatible and free version has access to stock prices in many countries
in the world. I've looked into paid version of Yahoo Real Time Quotes
but non US residents are banned from using the service so am out of
luck. Besides only US stock prices are supplied, I need Canadian and
other non US stock data at the same time. There are a lot of free real
time or even delayed data websites that are Java format, but is it
possible to get the data out of them. Do I use DDE or internal database?

3. Amibroker fundamental table format...Is there a way of displaying
downloaded fundamental data in a table format with multiple stocks
displaying line after line without realtime quotes window. Or is there a
way of displaying fundamental data in the realtime window.

4. Is real time data needed for trend trading or could I get by with
Yahoo historical and intraday? Then there is the issue of fundamental
data not displaying in table format.

5. I intend to find stocks largely through screening. Is this best done
by downloading entire exchange stock symbols and downloading historical
data, then applying screens inside Amibroker? Or should I go to
commercial screeners like Investorline, Google, Yahoo, and then transfer
symbols into Amibroker?

6. I intend to trade largely by researching stocks, then setting alerts
price. But I want to see my alerts in table format and be able to sort
the alerts price as a percentage away from today's price. Is this
possible in Amibroker?

7. It's great that Amibroker has Notes section with large capacity for
notes. I like to research stocks and then make notes and paste in
research articles excepts. But I see that each notes is a separate file.
Is there a way of searching in all notes within Amibroker other than
using Windows/Search feature?

8. Accounting...is there a way of editing accounting entries. I make
mistakes but there doesn't seem to be a way of correcting. Then when
I've sold off stocks, only the final block traded remains and doesn't
tell true story of the transaction. Is there a way around these issues?
I'd like a transaction summary like MSN Money provides. Is this
possible?

9. Editing stock symbols...Is there a way of editing without deleting?
If I have to change data providers I might have to edit thousands of
symbols to change the country codes.

10. I have a list of over 400 major trading tips, things like the
January effect. Is there a way of incorporating them in Amibroker?
Seeing as Amibroker has chart and drawing capability, it would be nice
to be able to put trading tips in Amibroker along with drawings.

11. How do I use Amibroker to make a superb trading system?

**** IMPORTANT PLEASE READ ****

http://www.amibroker.com/feedback/