[amibroker] Re: The best place to start for learning how to write code for amibroker.

  • To: amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: [amibroker] Re: The best place to start for learning how to write code for amibroker.
  • From: "Buzz M. Ross" <buzzmr@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 06 Apr 2009 19:55:03 -0000

--- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Warren" <tallapple@xxx> wrote:

> I want to learn how to write code the proper way for amibroker. Where should I start and is there a good book one can use for references.
> Thanks

Hi, Warren,

For yourself, as well as others who are interested in becoming proficient at creating code for AmiBroker (AB), I ... VERY STRONGLY ... recommend Howard Bandy's two books "Introduction to AmiBroker" and "Quantitative Trading Systems".

The 'intro' book is directed primarily to those who are 'new' to AB and gives many coding examples to help move 'newbies' in the direction of proper coding and eventual 'proficiency' with use of AB.

The 'systems' book is more directed toward strategies and effective development (testing, validation, etc.) of trading systems themselves, and also contains many, many examples of usable codings that lay the foundation for developing your proficiency in writing AB code for your own ideas.

Howard is an EXCELLENT 'educator' who knows both the trading arena 'like the back of his hand' AND how to use AB quite effectively.  In my opinion, his books reflect this expertise 'par excellance'!!

Visit his book websites at:

 www.introductiontoamibroker.com      (for the 'Intro' book), and
 www.quantitativetradingsystems.com   (for the 'systems' book)

To see the table of contents for each book, and view sample 'insides' to get a 'flavor' for these two PRACTICAL resources, click on the 'Book' tabs at each site and download the desired sections of interest.

In addition, spend time studying from the large number of coding examples in the AFL library.  Go to the AB website and visit either the 'Alphabetical' or 'Categorized' AFL 'keyword' reference pages and choose 'keyword' AFL instructions that seem pertinent to what you're attempting to implement for your needs.  Click on a selected keyword to see its syntax and how it is used.  Then, at the end of the description is a clickable reference to (generally) various examples of SPECIFIC uses AND THEIR CODINGS of the keyword.  These examples are some of the best 'tutorials' for learning how to properly create your own code.

Of course, the AB site's 'Knowledge Base' gives many helpful examples of proper coding to study as well.  Needless to say, AB's tutorial pages show much code too.

All in all, though, I believe that Howard's 'Introduction' book, is probably one of the best 'places to start' to lay the foundation for using all the other prolific coding-example resources available to you.

I hope this is helpful in your quest to help you develop your coding skill and make AB a most-powerful tool for YOUR purposes....

Buzz

(In the interest of full disclosure, I know Howard personally and my comments here are strictly for the purpose of specific recommendation to a qroup-member's query only and those of similar interest and need, NOT for general advertising nor marketing of these materials.)

**** IMPORTANT PLEASE READ ****

http://www.amibroker.com/feedback/