[amibroker] Re: AmiBroker 5.21.0 BETA released

For blank space to the right;

Could that feature be exposed as a chart parameter? The user could
then simply use a slider from the standard parameter dialog to alter
the number of extra bars.

A parameter is not as immediate (i.e. requires more clicks) as the
scrollbar approach. But, that is also its strength (i.e. becomes an
explicit operation rather than unintended side effect).

Additionally, it would be nice not to force a context switch (i.e.
change symbol) just to reset a value. Context switch breaks the train
of thought. A parameter setting would allow the user to stay within
the same context at all times.

Continuing with that line of reasoning, it seems to me that the extra
space would be desired on a chart by chart basis, rather than a
symbol by symbol basis. In other words, it is the nature of the Plots
that require the extra space, not the symbol. I would expect to want
the same extra space when iterating through any number of symbols on
a chart.

Finally, as a chart parameter, changes would be local to an
individual chart vs. a preference that globally affected all charts.
In other words, a "maximum" preference only reduces the symptoms, it
does not eliminate it. One chart's desired maximum will likely be
different than another's.

Admittedly, I have not looked at the feature yet. I'm basing my
comments on what has been posted so far. So, I apologize if these
comments are not applicable.

Mike

--- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Tomasz Janeczko" <groups@xxx>
wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Thank you very much for your detailed and constructive feedback. It
is appreciated.

> As for +/-10 layers - I would need to check if this would not
degrade performance plus I am not sure if having 20 options
> in the Format->Z-order menu would be pleasing to the eye, but
anyway that will be considered.

> Rectangle/ellipse fill color - yes it is blend of background and
study color at the time of creation of the study. Subsequent changes
> of background color don't affect already drawn studies.
>
> Blank space - yes it gets reset once you switch to different symbol
and yes it is so to enable you actually go back
> to "normal" once large space is no longer needed. I also was
thinking about checkbox to switch this off because
> as history teaches not everyone likes the changes, but your
suggestion of adding "maximum" setting is
> even better. Anyway I was just thinking that on-the-fly extension
is nice to have because it saves a lot of mouse clicks
> (instead of going to Preferences over and over again).
> As for "pixel" dimension - I am not big fan of that as that would
generate lot of headache when coding as charts and scroll bar logic
is based
> on bars everywhere in the program as "pixel" is not relevant and
changes pretty often (zoom, printing, copy image, metafile output
> - all these have completely different DPI).
> Anyway, something to think over.
>
> Best regards,
> Tomasz Janeczko
> amibroker.com

have much praise and also some other feedback from my first hour of
use and adding the new AFL features to my program already.

>   ? X-Y co-ordinate labels on axes implemented. Can be controlled
using View->X-Y labels menu.

>   This is great!  I can now ditch the one I just finished writing --
 LOL!  Yours is much better.  I like the shadow effect to make it
stand out better.

>   ? Plot, PlotForeign and PlotOHLC now have new parameter zorder
which defines the Z-axis position of given plot
>   ? All drawing tools now can define Z-order (from -5 to +5).
>   This is great, but it would be even better if it were -10 to +10
layers, though I could get by with 8.  5 are enough layers for groups
of plots, but not quite enough for my individual plots, so I still
have to break my plotting routines from my modular function
generation code.  With 10 layers above and below, I could have enough
layers to make my functions truly modular.

>   I absolutely love that the default study lines are below the Gfx
plots.  My studies no longer obscure my on-chart button arrays and
information tables.

>   ? new AFL functions ColorBlend
>

>   This is great!  A way to select colors by stepping through values
in a way that makes sense to the eye.  I will have to think of a way
to include this in my charts.

>   ? Rectangle and Ellipse drawing tool now are by default SOLID,
with default fill color being a blend between background and selected
drawing color, they are use ZOrder = -1 (behind regular plots) by
default

>   This is a great improvement!  Though I must not understand what
you mean by blend between the background.  I changed chart background
colors and it did not change the color of the oval I was testing...
Wait, I just figured it out.  It uses the color of the background
when you create the object only and does not change it dynamically
after that.

>   ? Blank area past last available quote can be now enlarged on the
fly by simply using > arrow in the scroll bar or using mouse wheel

>   This one is causing me some difficulties.  I both love it and
hate it.
>   I love that I can increase the space easily.
>   I hate that it has no limits and once increased, it becomes the
new default for the position thumb all the way to the right.
>   I hate that if the symbol is switched, it does not remember what
it was last set to, though that seems to be the only way to reset it
back to the default.

>   If I want to increase the space, it is usually to a constant
PIXELs of blank space so that I can fit objects that are pixel based
to the right of the chart in the blank area.  So being able to
increase the blank area if I am zooming out to many bars is a good
thing.

>   However, I very often use the scroll wheel to move back an forth
in the chart during real time trading.  I move left to see some last
support level for setting a study point, then I give the scroll wheel
a quick zip to get back to the right default position again for
trading the current bar.  With this new mode, I zip right past all
the bars to a blank chart and am lost in white space.

>   So this feature is causing me more problems than not having it at
all.  I don't really need the ability to add unlimited white space.

>   What I need is one of the following:
>

>   1a A way to turn this feature off, or
>   1b A maximum amount of white space preference that the scroll
wheel can't exceed -- preferably with either bars or pixels options.

**** IMPORTANT PLEASE READ ****

http://www.amibroker.com/feedback/