Re[2]: [amibroker] Re: Run time debugging for includes

Title: Re[2]: [amibroker] Re: Run time debugging for includes

again: if we had a tools-plugin menu item or macro feature in the editor, especially if it works with afl, we can solve all problems ourselves and we might see lots of ingenious ideas in the form of user contributed plugins. It would allow users to modify/insert any kind of statements that could be removed automatically. An enhanced Find/Replace function that can handle multi-line text would also help.

I think that no matter what TJ comes up with it will reflect programmer tradition and lack, for many of us, the flexibility to do things in untraditional ways.

So, the best solution all around is to provide the hooks (as long as they include/support using afl) and let users play :-)

best regards,

herman

Herman,

I agree with you that real breakpoint/step in AFL would be a problem due to the nature of the way it works now, though it is not impossible to conceive of ways to simulate the desired functions.

I outlined some of the steps I use to get something reasonable, but it takes some editing of the file to get it.  For instance I add a if(x) SayAndWait( "lineNumber" + "variableValue"); between lines I want to explore while they are running.  It slows the execution to a crawl in the desired section and you can hear and see the results.  I have found a few tricky bugs this way.

I suppose it would be possible to write a function that could be put between each line that would essentially halt the execution until a key was pressed for each new step (like the shift key).  The function could say things, though I am not sure if it could write things out with Gfx or popups.  I would have to experiment to find out if they are immediately executed, though a JScript would execute right away.  The function could also send trace data to the trace window.  If you really really want to get fancy, you could actually open the formula file and find the line that is being stepped (need to have a serialized marker) and log that line text to the trace window like your Echo() suggestion.

Your Echo() idea is interesting because it would create a listing of the program as it is being executed.  That could also be combined with the above ideas.

It just comes down to if you are willing to edit the source with a function on each line you want to trace.  It would be tricky to write the first time, but then the function could be included in any formula.

You gave me some more food for thought.

Thanks,

Dennis