[amibroker] Re: Rambling... Trading versus Coin Flip (Was Monte Carlo...)

Still not chrystal clear, bud?

I apologise for my failures as a teacher.

With your permission may I try one (maybe) last time:

- in Howard's QTS book he published the FDistribution for the S&P500
daily changes 94 - 06..... it is not normal but for my example it is
near enough to it.

-  you buy at random and exit with +- 1% as your stop/profit,
- excluding commission
- allowing for slippage you will get everything on Howards graph
excluding the prices bounded within +- 1% i.e. your FDist will == the
left and right tails of the near normal dist.

This is a nearly exact replica of a break even coin toss because:

- it is binomial (it comprises two states i.e wins and losses)
- the value on each side of the coin has a mean (something like +-
1.5% as a guess).

It is stationary:

- (it can't ever change unless the S&P does something totally
contrary to all past behaviour),
- my 10 year history shows S&P daily close is approx 50/50 win/loss +-
 insignificant variance,
- it is bounded by your own rules,
- you are highly unlikely to get favourable slippage from your broker
(unless it is an abherration)
- occassional and random, wild outliers won't change the mean result.

How to evaluate the system?:

The FDist of the samples is not normal.
You certainly can not quantify the performance of the system on one
backtest because the liklihood of 'one run' being representative of
the system is very low.

Knowing coin toss behaviour inside out:

 I could use BinomialSimulation, produce a CumFreqDist for the
possible eq outcomes and then get a probability of risk of ruin.

(I probably couldn't be bothered though and would just use some other
quick and dirty stats method I learnt when playing Flip!)

YouTube video clip from "The Life Of Brian".

Outside a crowd, comprising mostly ignorant peasants, gathers.

They clamour at the windows and door, shouting for Brian to come
out, "Brian, Brian, ........ Messiah!"

Brian's mother goes to the windows and door to slam them shut.

"Brian, the Messiah?"

"He's not the Messiah, he's just a very naughty boy!" she yells back
to the crowd, with finality.

**** IMPORTANT ****