[amibroker] Re: Sell and Buy on different days

--- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "brian_z111" <brian_z111@xxx> wrote:

> > In any case it could be traded if you organise your funds in such
> >way that all symbols in your list can be held simultaneously.
>
> That isn't really practical and we can calculate very accurate
> predictions, subject to variance and non-stationarity, before we
risk
> our money.

Why impractical? I have been doing exactly that, profitably, for just
under 2 years. There is much room for experimentation in exactly how
the funds get distributed among the signals. But, even a simple equal
division of equity between all signals (up to a fixed maximum
percentage of equity per trade in the event that there are few
signals) can prove profitable when applied to a strategy.

Mike

> >there are a lot of additional problems that arise like an
uncomplete
> >database during testing
>
> You can't get a good result out of a bad database.... just avoid
> trades were you can't get the data you need.
>

> >Not sure if a random selection on an extended list for testing
> >purposes is reliable. Who knows in the practice you will find that
> >the signals that come early during the trading session usually are
> >loosers. This could be tested however using intraday data,
>

> Yes it is reliable, in fact it is the only way that it can be done.
>
> Returning to the example in my previous post:
>
> a b c X d e f g h i
> a b c Y d e f g h i
> a b c Z d e f g h i
>
> The XY & Z samples were produced by the same system (same rules) as
> the a -> i samples, so they are part of the same series and share
the
> same profile (frequency distribution and probabilities).
>
> If you have a list of trades for an EOD system and then want to find
> out if the intraday time affects the result then you are ranking
your
> daily signals using an intraday factor and you have to add at least
> one more trading rule to do that.
>
> This is effectively a new system and it will produce its own trade
> series , with it's own characteristics.
>
> As always, if we do analyse the trade sample space, we have to make
> sure we are left with enought samples to provide a valid sample.
>
> NEW RULE == NEW SYSTEM == NEW AND UNIQUE TRADE SERIES
>

> --- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Edward Pottasch" <empottasch@>
> wrote:
> >
> > In any case it could be traded if you organise your funds in such
> way that all symbols in your list can be held simultaneously.  EOD
> systems are tricky though since there are a lot of additional
> problems that arise like an uncomplete database during testing
(ENRN,
> WCOM etc missing), no shorts available during trading. Not sure if a
> random selection on an extended list for testing purposes is
> reliable. Who knows in the practice you will find that the signals
> that come early during the trading session usually are loosers. This
> could be tested however using intraday data,
> >
> > regards, Ed

Then
> [...]
> >   > > Hey Ed,
> >   > >
> >   > > Thank you so much for the code on the Amibroker Yahoo group
> >   board!
> >   > It
> >   > > seems to be working from what I've seen so far. I'm doing an
> >   > > optimization on that particular code (your first code) right
> >   now.
> >   > >
> >   > > The second code (the one from your email) didn't work. That
> is,
> >   > there
> >   > > were sales of one stock and buy of another stock on the same
> >   day.
> >   > Not
> >   > > sure what your code was doing but it gave a lot bigger
> profits
> >   using
> >   > the
> >   > > backtester. Could you comment on this please?
> >   > >
> >   > > Mind you that this is my first attempt to writing code for
> any
> >   stock
> >   > > type software. I'm still using the 30 day free trial of the
> >   > Amibroker
> >   > > software but I think that I'm getting closer as I'm chugging
> >   along.
> >   > >
> >   > > My agenda is to use this on a basket of ETF's. Perhaps 10 to
> 20
> >   > or
> >   > > so. Not sure how many I need since the 30 day trail
backtests
> up
> >   > to a
> >   > > basket of 5 stocks. My idea is to place the possible stock
> >   trades
> >   > > using the whole basket of ETF stocks at night for the next
> >   trading
> >   > > session. I have an IB account so I figure I could use an OCA
> >   limit
> >   > > order. Basically whenever a trade gets hit first (meets the
> >   limit
> >   > price
> >   > > level), it trades. The other possible trades all get
canceled
> >   right
> >   > > away. So one trade actually goes through for the day.
> >   > >
> >   > > BTW, I like ETF's because the drawdowns are not as scary....
> >   okay,
> >   > > usually not as scary. Ha! I've been backtesting with:
> >   > >
> >   > > QQQQ, DIA, SPY, MDY, IWM
> >   > >
> >   > > Thank you again!
> >   > >
> >   > > Andy
> >   > >
> >   > > Edward Pottasch wrote:
> >   > > >
> >   > > > Andy,
> >   > > >
> >   > > > I have sent an alternative solution to your private Email.
Release

**** IMPORTANT ****