[amibroker] Re: Maximum tick data AB can handle ?

It appears that using the registry tweaks will allow setting the
database size to some arbitrary large number, like 5 billion, but will
this database size impact backtesting speed and RAM requirements? For
example, if I store a month's worth of tick data and only backtest on
a single day, will Amibroker load the entire dataset or just the bars
needed? In case it is just the bars needed, is this the parameter
specified by NumberOfBarsToLoad in tools->preferences->data?

--- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Tomasz Janeczko" <groups@xxx> wrote:

> Yes that is all correct. And keep in mind that memory is needed for
data alone (64 bytes per bar)
> and AFL arrays during processing. 10million bars would be 640MB of
continuous RAM + array memory (4 * number of bars * number of arrays
> used in AFL) which can be problematic. Imagine 10 symbols -> 6.4 GB
for quotation data.
> So 200 symbols TICK data (10 million bars each) for 4 years - no it
is unrealistic for physical hardware you have
> unless you run 64 bit version with lots of RAM.
> Sure the program can keep data on disk and does that, but currently
used data (including any foreigh calls)
> must be in RAM plus minimum in-memory cache size is 11 symbols.
>
> Best regards,
> Tomasz Janeczko
> amibroker.com

there is a registry tweak to increase it to whatever  system can
handle, the more bars, the slower it is.
>   For example, I have 2 years worth of tick data for INDU, and is
2.5M bars. Depending on what you're storing, it could be more or less.