[amibroker] Re: Trying to store Optimized Variables using AddToComposite

AddToComposite is for storing values on a bar by bar basis. I don't think that this would be the right approach for your goals, since you are looking for a single scaler value representing total performance for a given period. Yes, you could write scripts to dig out the performance metrics and persist the subset of interest. However, it would be easier to just track the interesting ones as they occur. The following AFL can be run through the Optimizer and persist in a separate file the parameter values for only those backtests that were of interest. I'll leave the digging out of values in the second AFL to you, as it sounds like you have an idea already of how you want to do that. Mike

fast = Optimize("Fast", 10, 10, 50, 10); slow = Optimize("Slow", 100, 100, 200, 25);
Buy = Cross(MA(Close, fast), MA(Close, slow)); Sell = Cross(MA(Close, slow), MA(Close, fast));
SetCustomBacktestProc("");
if (Status("ActionEx") == actionExOptimizeSetup) {    _TRACE("Optimize Begin");    fh = fopen("C:\\temp\\logFile.csv", "w");

if (fh) {       fputs("Fast,Slow,PCTWin\n", fh);       fclose(fh);    } }
if (Status("action") == actionPortfolio) {    _TRACE("Portfolio Backtest");    bo = GetBacktesterObject();    bo.Backtest();
   stats = bo.GetPerformanceStats(
0);    pctWinners = stats.getValue("WinnersPercent");

if (pctWinners > 60) {       _TRACE("Trigger");       fh = fopen("C:\\temp\\logFile.csv", "a");

if (fh) {

fputs(StrFormat("%f,%f,%f\n", fast, slow, pctWinners), fh);

fclose(fh);
      }    }
}
--- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "ozzyapeman" <zoopfree@xxx> wrote:

> Sorry if I was not clear enough. I will try to give more details.
>
> Basically I want to run an optimization on two variables, then
> somehow, automatically, store all values of optimized variables that
> correspond to a certain metric range (let's say %Winners > 60).
> Another AFL would then pull that range of optimized variables for a
> backtest.
>
> I would use the Walk Forward feature of AmiBroker for this, except it
> only uses the 'best' value, not a range of values. My system requires
> a range of values, not just the best one. I also want to permanently
> store the best values.
>
> I am stuck trying to figure out how to automatically pull the
> optimized variables from the optimization report. The custom
> backtester only allows me to pull the built-in metrics.
>
> So the basic question is - how do I extract the optimized variables
> after an optimization is run? Do I have to write some _vbscript_ that
> exports the report to csv, then opens that report, then somehow parses
> through that report to find the correct column and range? Or is there
> (hopefully) a simpler way of extracting the values?
>
> Once the values are extracted, it is then fairly easy to either write
> them to a file or store them in static variables. But I am aiming to
> store them in composite symbols, as (a) they are 'permanent' like
> external files and (b) my sense is that it is more efficient to pull
> values from a composite symbol than from an external file.
>
> As I run through optimizations across different historical periods, I
> want to build a number of composite symbols that contain the 'best
> values' of optimized variables for use in 'walk forward' backtests,
> and then eventual live trading.
>
> Hopefully the above is clearer now. Please let me know if not.
>

> --- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Mike" sfclimbers@ wrote:
> >
> > You would have to be a little more clear on exactly what it is you are
> > trying to accomplish. Though, writing to a file directly, or using
> > static variables might be areas to explore.
> >
> > Mike
> >
> > --- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "ozzyapeman" <zoopfree@> wrote:
> > >
> > > Ah. Well that would explain that. Thanks.
> > >
> > > Any ideas for a possible workaround?

> > the
> > pull
> > another