[amibroker] Re: more info needed on futures market

The IQFeed symbol list is a bit difficult to follow.

eSignal symbol list gives a quicker overview of what is at each
exchange >> click on SYMBOLS GUIDE from this page

http://www.esignalcentral.com/support/cs/default.asp

example:

go to CME and see what is in the CME package there.

You can also see the trading hours and pick up a link to the exchange
sites from there (exchange sites explain all the details if you have
a year or two to dig through it all).

Also you can use the eS symbols list here and also maybe get a basic
look at the chart (limited chart) if you subscribe for free (the cost
is advertising emails) - it can be handy if you want to see an
example chart before subscribing to the exchange.

As a rule of thumb -

a) I prefer to trade instruments that run 24 hours a day OR for
equities have a premarket (high vol stocks on the US exchanges).

b) I agree you should go for liquidity - look for low spreads

As a starting point the futures quoted by Yahoo are a pretty good
guide as to which instruments have volume:

http://finance.yahoo.com/actives?e=us

look at US indices >> futures

and commodities >> energy, metals etc

If you are going to chase all the exchanges then you will pay a lot
in exchange fees and use very little from each.

If you pay for the exchanges that emulates Yahoo you still have a few
on your plate.

Chasing all of the exchanges has a high pain to gain ratio.

It is mainly a choice between NewYork/Chicago and London anyway.

IMO it is better to work in reverse:

- follow what your broker trades (in some cases it is hard to find a
broker who carries the instruments you want).

- look at the charts your broker carries and decide from them which
ones have the personality that suits your style/strategies (don't try
to trade them all)

- pick the hours you want to work e.g. London is afternoons for me :-)
and USA is nights (ugh!)

My simple solution was to go to a trader where I can trade multi
instruments from one desk i.e. gold, oil, forex, world indices etc
(for me that is IB or IGMarkets - I will try IB next year).

I like Gold, Oil, equity indices like ES, SP500, ASX200, FTSE100, US
top vol stocks or UH top vol stocks.

Except for stocks I can trade them in 24 hour london time charts
using CFD's which trade like a future or an option (without time
decay and volatility crunch).

brian_z

**** IMPORTANT ****