[amibroker] Re: AFL example request

Hi Joe,

Thank you for your reply. This looks like a good example. I learn best
by looking up or testing a simple example of code. My current
collection is not all that big but, when it grows beyond manageable
size, it may be a good idea to use a database to store and search all
records.

Regards
Richard

--- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Joe Landry" <jelandry@xxx> wrote:

> Hello Richard - Hope you don't think I'm talking down to you but if
you're in this for the long run this is what I would do (I did)

> 1) I purchased a product called InfoSelect  and have collected about
several years of clips and programs that looked interesting.   IS is
from Microlog.
> Has been around for many years. It's an info database and indexes
every character of every thing you clip and paste into the system.

> 2) Understand how AB stores the data, a time series or arrays.
Functions process and return arrays and scalars and the function
description will let you know.  ValueWhen returns an array and
LastValue returns a scalar or number as documented in AB.

> 3) Use Explore  - one of the best ways to "see" what's happening.
Like so.

> Hope this  helps
> Joe
>
> An Exploration Example
>
> Filter = 1;
>
> Array1 = ValueWhen(Close> Open, DateTime());
>
> Array2 = ( ValueWhen( Status("firstbarinrange"),BarIndex() ) );
>
> Array3 = ( ValueWhen( Status("lastbarinrange"),BarIndex() ) );
>
> AddColumn(DateTime(),"Date",formatDateTime);
>
> AddColumn( Array1, "Date when Close > Open", formatDateTime );
>
> AddColumn(Array2,"Numb2");
>
> // Meets the condition only at the last bar in the range FROM TO
setting - change the range to demonstrate

====================================================================================================

> 1st Sample Clip
>
> dt = DateTime();
>
> Price1 = LastValue( ValueWhen(dt==StrToDateTime("12/05/2005"), C ) );
>
> Price2 = LastValue( ValueWhen(dt==StrToDateTime("1/06/2006"), C ) );
>
> Price3 = LastValue( ValueWhen(dt==StrToDateTime("2/07/2007"), C ) );
>
> AddColumn(Price1 ,"Dec 5, 2005");
>
> AddColumn(Price2 ,"Jan 6, 2006");
>
> AddColumn(Price3 ,"Feb 7, 2007");
>
> 2nd Clip Example
>
> // Get the start and end bar indexes
>
> start = LastValue( ValueWhen( Status( "firstbarinrange" ),
BarIndex() ) );

**** IMPORTANT ****