You can search the internet and see.  I remember running across a site that said you could a long time ago.  Thinkorswim said they were working on making that possible around the end of the year.  They would not allow the large leverage of a day trader though.  TOS sees futures primarily as an efficient hedge to adjust the delta of an options position.  I have used them that way also.  They do have beta DOM tools that facilitate fast trading of futures that I am using now.

BR,
Dennis

On Oct 21, 2008, at 9:54 PM, Steve Dugas wrote:

Thank you Dennis, just shrinking the paperwork is a pretty good reason to switch.   8 - )
BTW, would you happen to know about trading futures in an IRA? Can it be done? Can one somehow use futures to go short in an IRA? Thanks again!

Steve

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Tuesday, October 21, 2008 5:57 PM
Subject: Re: [amibroker] Semi-OT: Portfolio Manager for frequent Swing Trading

Steve,

With stocks and options, you have to reconcile and show every transaction in your account during the year on Schedule-D.  For an active trader, this can amount to a lot of work matching trades and figuring out special situations like mergers.  With futures (commodities in IRS speak), the broker just gives you a statement that says you made x dollars in the year on Y commodity (like the S&P 500 or Silver)... end of story.  You fill out a different one page schedule --not Schedule-D.  Stocks are considered individual investments.  Futures are considered a hedge for real stuff as a business need for producers.  Futures speculators help keep the commodities prices liquid and at a fair price which helps the economy run smoothly.

BR,
Dennis