From: Tomasz Janeczko <groups@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Friday, October 17, 2008 2:48:17 AM
Subject: Re: [amibroker] Re: IB plugin 1.8.0 released - This is a fix? I don't think so!

Hello,

The fix was required because recent TWS started to REJECT
backfill requests with same requestID but different start/end times.
Pre-1.8.0 versions used same requestID for ONE symbol in order
to backfill more than 5 days for one symbol.
But new TWS simply rejects it with error code.
So new (1.8.0) uses continuously increasing requests IDs for
each subsequent backfill request and this is actually the only
way to get backfill longer than 5 days working with newest TWS.
It works fine on my end and from the feedback I received in a couple of days,
it works for others too better than 1.7.0

Error 162 is "Historical market Data Service error message."

It means that something is wrong on TWS/IB end (i.e. with their historical server).
You may be not connected or you may be facing IB throttling.

As I wrote many times on this list TWS has *fixed* limit of 1 backfill at a time.
It can not be worked around. This is hardcoded in TWS.

Therefore you need to ask for data once at a time.

Best procedure is as to run AB before market open, put the symbols you need
into Real-time QUote window, click with RIGHT mouse button over plugin status
window and select "Backfill All RTQ symbols", this will step through all
rt quote window symbols once at a time at backfill them all.
If you experience problems with pacing violation you may also go to File->Database Settings,
click "Configure" and turn OFF "automatic backfill on first data access".

As written here:

If you switch "automatic backfill on first data access" option off, you will still be able to backfill data for current symbol or all symbols in real-time quote window list usign appropriate menu options from plugin status menu.

Backfill Current option allows to force backfill of currently selected symbol, while Backfill All RTQ symbols allow to force backfill of all symbols listed in Real-Time Quote window. Backfill of multiple symbols is performed sequentially (one at a time) due to limitations of TWS.

Best regards,
Tomasz Janeczko
amibroker.com