Re: [amibroker] Re: Backtest - WF Optimization

Mike,

I've done a lot of WFO since TJ implemented it in AB. As I wrote in
another thread yesterday, I had to learn that not only finding the best
IS and OOS period length is a problem but also the appropriate range of
the parameters to be optimized. If the range is too large the
parameters can easily adapt to even extreme market situations and the
result for the respective IS period can be be excellent. But they will
fail to be profitable in the subsequent OOS period. This is
particularly true if the IS period is too short thus preventing
generalization. I'm now using parameter ranges that are much narrower
and modify these ranges in subsequent WFO runs very carefully. And with
this approach I'm getting much better and smoother OOS results than
ever before.

So, in a nutshell: Even with WFO and even with a simple, not at all
overly complex trading system overfitting is possible if you apply WFO
too naively.

Regards,

Thomas