Re: [amibroker] Help Manual -> UKB

Grover,

My desire for a beginners, intermediate and advanced user guides, is
to put the information in a format that will allow a clear development
arc for users. Right now what we have are disparate sources of
information, offered in non-heirarchical structure. I kind of have a
sense that I am missing the potential of AmiBroker in a way... but I'm
not quite sure what I'm missing because I haven't seen it yet!!!

Hopefully Howard can cover some of these angles, or further & easier
contributions to the UKB can help.

However, your suggestion is an excellent one. I've just done a few
google searches and I've found articles and information that I
probably wouldn't have seen before.

--- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Grover Yowell" <gyowell1@xxx> wrote:

> I'm with you Herman.
>

> As to the many comments about it is hard to find the information you
want
> even though it is there (somewhere), I agree.  But now that I have re-
> discovered the Google site search feature and using that can find almost
> anything with a one line entry on the internet.  In the Google
toolbar the
> search is :  whatIwant site:www.amibroker.com
>

> So I am wondering if 90% of the problem of needing a new Help manual
would
> be solved by simply making available a convenient Google site search
line on
> the AMIbroker Home page.  It has sure worked for me.  I have been
able to
> find things in the UKB or the KB that I knew were there but couldn't
find at
> a later time.
>

> Sometimes it is better to solve a part of the problem that is easy
rather
> than the whole thing.
>

> Just a thought,
>

> Grover

On Behalf
> Of Herman
> Sent: Sunday, August 31, 2008 2:49 AM
> To: George Loyd
> Subject: Re[2]: [amibroker] Help Manual -> UKB
>

> I agree 100%.
>

> If anybody really wants a glossary he/she can have it published
tomorrow on
> the UKB. Tomasz created the UKB for this type of use and he already gave
> permission to draw on existing AB Help content if used on that site.
Don't
> underestimate the value of this. It means that you already have 95%
of the
> work, structure and content, done for you by Tomasz. I have no idea
what all
> the fuss is about. I can further clear copyright issues with him if
you want
> to go this route.
>

> The UKB comment field's can be used to add notes, code snippets,
references,
> etc. Volunteers can screen, polish, and add this to the main item to
make it
> look nice - with minimal effort. The tools are there and they are
already
> supported by AmiBroker. Just dump the whole thing in one post from Word
> (minimal formatting) on the UKB (contact me for details) and the search
> engine will find the required item. The UKB will have more
permanence than
> any other private site.
>

> I think 90% of all the talk in this thread is due to a desire to try
some
> new layouts and try a new glossy user interface. All that won't add any
> value to the contents of the site; it only adds lots of work to set
it up
> and maintain.
>

> If you want something done, simply do it.
>

> Best regards,
>
> herman
>

> Sunday, August 31, 2008, 12:58:43 AM, you wrote:
>

> I don't reply to many emails - in fact VERY few, but this one and
many of
> the replies forced me to write something.
>

> Maybe AmiBroker should be more like MetaStock where errors remain
for many
> upgrade cycles ( ie months to a year or more) and NO BETA upgrades ever
> occur. In the 6 1/2 years I have used AmiBroker Tomasz has provided
> literally far more than 100 beta versions - FREE of charge, often fixing
> bugs within a few hours to a couple of days. No other investment
software
> that I know of does this that fast. MetaStock's Enhance Backtester or
> Optimizer still has included errors in its handling of returns -
which in my
> opinion renders it less than useful for "real" investment work where
money
> is on the line. Enlighten me if I am wrong. Each "one tenth" upgrade for
> MetaStock costs $99 or more while Tomasz was providing 5 "one tenth"
> upgrades and MANY betas FREE for about the same price. Checking
MetaStock's
> manual - AmiBroker's is superior. Now I realize this is a comparison
with
> only one other available software package, but others will fail to
generate
> much improved comparisons. I think I would rather still have what
AmiBroker
> provides.
>

> Furthermore Tomasz is a virtual Help file to this message board,
although I
> think he would rather be programing new features for AmiBroker than
> answering questions here.
>

> Each investment software package has their own programming language.
As new
> features and functions are included into the language, it becomes more
> difficult to use and understand. The added complexity generates more
> questions.  No other investment software package has generated much
in the
> way of third party reference texts, other the few Tradestation has.
Howard