Re: [amibroker] Re: 'Rule Based' versus 'Discretionary' trading...

  • To: "brian_z111" <brian_z111@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [amibroker] Re: 'Rule Based' versus 'Discretionary' trading...
  • From: Herman <psytek@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2008 17:18:57 -0400

Title: Re: [amibroker] Re: 'Rule Based' versus 'Discretionary' trading...

I haven't followed this thread in detail. However it might interest some of you how I am getting my objectives implemented. To keep this short ;-) I am leaving out programming details.

My objective is to get automation software in place so that I can test a complicated procedure of explorations and Backtests on historical data. It must Backtest and score multiple trading systems, use multiple foreign data bases, use multiple explorations, score across markets, etc. In other words: I want it to do whatever I can do manually but a hundred times faster and without errors.

With the kind help from Paul Ho, I finally got started with J-Script. I don't like picking up other languages but I saw no other way. btw, I am still looking for a good book on J-Script that is NOT web site oriented. If anyone can recommend a book that helps me to write basic code (not all that server stuff) please let me know. I am also looking for free J-Script debugging tools - same here: those that are not web/html oriented.

Phase 1 of my system will be limited to EOD data, Phase 2 will add Intraday trade management. The 2nd phase will be developed separately and will work independent from the first-phase.

The key JS functions are a set of functions to Backtest, run Explorations in the AA, and perform file operations, once I had those going the rest is relatively easy (thanks to Paul!).

We can't run the AA within the frame work of an afl formula - at least it appeared too difficult for me. Also, while it may be possible to do some of the tasks more efficient using the CBT I decided to mimic the manual manual operations I perform to run the protocol (without automation). This way I fully understand what is happening and know it will do exactly what i want. Normally one would start the J/_vbscript_s from the AB Tool menu. This is of course awkward; I want to control, start and stop, J-Scripts from within the afl formula. I also want conditional afl execution depending on what js is doing. To do this I use files to coordinate handshaking between AFL and J-Script.

To have j-script do what I want I write a set of parameters to a JSParam.js file from afl. This file is read and executed by my main J-script (like an #include or batch file). When JS has executed it it deletes this file. When afl sees the JSParam.js file has been deleted it can write another set of operations and create a new file that will be executed by js. JS continually writes its current state to a JSStatus.txt file which afl reads and displays. This allows me to know at all times what js is doing, this is to monitor the system and help in debugging. To prevent multiple js launches, js also creates a JSBusy.txt file when it starts, and deletes it when it is finished. When this file exists js will not start another version of the code. I use files as I would use static variables to coordinate programs running in afl.

At various points I explore the entire DB, collect performance metrics for several thousand stocks, sort performance metrics, and score tickers and systems. After each Backtest I read the metrics from the results.rlst in the Reports folder. I tried bubble sorts but they ran too slow (written in afl) so I developed a no-sorting method to get my top metrics. I simply scale and limit the range of the metric values, convert them to an integer, and use them as an index to a static text array. This way the metric values are automatically stored in order of magnitude in the array. Scaling values to a 1:1000 or 1:10000 range give me plenty of resolution for scoring. Outsiders and multiple values in the same integer are grouped in the same array element. To get my top metric scores I only have to read the top n metric values (empties are skipped). Very fast and no sorting needed :-) the next step will be to write my tickers to a number of trading lists that will be read by trade automation code (AT already working).

I maintain various other files that can be read by all software modules to share ticker lists, performance, and other data.

This is about where I am at right now. The procedure may take up to a few minutes per day for a single data base. Considering all the work its doing this is not bad. The js execution time is negligible compared to the AA operations.

There is one more problem I have to solve in order to check the system over historical data and that is to run the entire procedure at each bar and calculate the equity. btw, trades never last longer than one day. I was thinking of using the Bar-Replay but I see no way to stop/start it from afl. I just may have to write my own loop. Any ideas anyone?

The above may look like a round-about way to get something done however it is something that I can fully understand. No black boxes. btw, The EOD phase does not use optimizations.

Herman