Re: [amibroker] Re: 'Rule Based' versus 'Discretionary' trading...

 >>So far you haven't posted any strong arguments against 'rule based
trading' .... are you holding back?<<

I am not sure what you are looking for here. There are many ways to
trade. Each trader has to choose what works best for himself. There are
some people who are not good candidates for discretionary trading
because their emotions (fear and greed) get the best of them. In the
face of adversity, they display herd behavior which is exactly what the
floor wants you to do so they can take your money.

Definition of discretionary:

1. Based on individual judgment or discretion: subjective
2. Not compulsory or automatic: elective

 >>so far not one discretionary trader has given us a PRECISE example of
a trading decision that they make freely<<

Attached are 2 charts I marked up today for someone. They show 5 trades
(the horiz lines indicate S/R).

4 of the 5 are pullbacks to S/R in a trend, the last crude trade is a
fade of the trend after a significant move.

The discretionary part is determining the trend, determining when the
pullback is over, determining when the trend is over (or at least due
for a sizable correction), and finally whether or not to take the trade.

As an example, look carefully at the last crude trade. What you see
there is a classic example of the Market Makers moving prices hard into
Resistance and overshooting, they take out stops and cause false
breakouts to the long side and then they take the market down.

Discretionary trading is recognizing what is happening in real time and
taking advantage of it.

WRT your MD comments, nobody 'knows' what the market is going to do.
There is always some uncertainty. Trading is about probabilities,
trading when the odds favor success.

Real time trading is like playing a combination of video games and poker.

Bill