[amibroker] Re: Freakishly fast backtest using 64 cores

thanks for your insight.
I hope you dont mind sharing a little bit more detail
You said "
Get get the best performance, my AFL code makes one pass over the
> data, calling a Dll.  The Dll takes all of the data needed by the
> calculation and loads a copy to the video card.  This upload is
slow,
> the entire upload takes about 45 seconds for all 1000 symbols.
>
> Once all of the data is uploaded, the Dll loads a "kernel" into the
> graphics cores that perform the actual computation and generates
the
> trade list.

normally AB loads the data from database as needed, and calls a
function in a dll, and passes data in arrays or whatever as arguments
of the function. The function will be called for every ticker in the
watchlist, and data pertaining that symbol is passed each time. I
wonder how you do a "single pass" over the data. Because AB passes
the data as part of the argument regardless of how many optimizations
It had previously with the same data. I just wonder you do it.
cheers
Paul.

--- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "dloyer123" <dloyer123@xxx> wrote:

> [...]
> faster.  The 260 can be found at best buy for $300.  Some laptops
> have compatible cards as well.
>
> The video card has its own memory, mine has 512MB, some have as
much
> as 1GB.  This memory is very fast, once it is loaded from the main
> system.  Nvidia has a professional line of products that have much
> more memory.
>
> Get get the best performance, my AFL code makes one pass over the
> data, calling a Dll.  The Dll takes all of the data needed by the
> calculation and loads a copy to the video card.  This upload is
slow,
> the entire upload takes about 45 seconds for all 1000 symbols.
>
> Once all of the data is uploaded, the Dll loads a "kernel" into the
> graphics cores that perform the actual computation and generates
the
> trade list.  This part is very fast and performs all of the same
> functions that my AFL version does.  The resulting trade list is
the
> same.
>
> Because the data loaded into video memory, it can be resused for
many
> passes over the data with different optimization values.  So,
> hundreds of combinations of optimization values can be tried per
> second.
>
> For non optimization runs, the Dll just loads one symbol into video
> memory and processes it.  Counting the overhead of moving data to
the
> video card and extracting the trade list for a single symbol, the
> result is similar to AFL code alone.  This lets me test the code
and
> make sure it is correct.
>
> This approach works best when the data only needs to be loaded
once,
> then "resused" many times.  It also works best when there is a lot
of
> data to work with.
>
> What is more interesting to me and what would be more useful for
> others would be a general drive that requires no Dll changes to
> modify the system.  The performance would not be as good as hand
> optimized code, but would still be much better than AFL code
alone.
> It would take trading system design to a whole new level.  It would
> provide enough performance to make working with Intra day data as
> easy as daily data is today.
>
> Writing such a driver would be hard, but I have already done some
> prototypes and design work.  I am tempted to do it for my own use.
> If I made it available to others supporting it would be a PITA.
>

> --- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Paul Ho" <paul.tsho@> wrote:
> >
> > I'm very interested
> > could you elaborate a bit more
> > What model of Nvidia chipset are you using, and with how much
> memory?
> > Not sure exactly what you mean when you say
> > It uses AmiBroker to load the symbol data and perform
calculations