RE: [amibroker] Re: How to save Metrics in Composites for Individual BTs

This is a reply to several emails.

Someone questioned whether it is wise for me to wait for the metric function to be provided. Well, I never "wait" for canned solutions; I always find a work around to solve my problems in some other way. However, doing this is sometimes frustrating and it certainly is a big drain on my time. If this is so for me than this must be so for many other users. When I push for new functions I do this with a community spirit, not just to get what "I" want/need; I push for it because some of these functions are long overdue and make common sense to have.

To give you an example: I remember that many years ago I was pushing for the equity(), I even wrote/posted my own afl Equity(), and the hbEquity() DLL that featured Equity Feedback arguments. Look at it today: who could design a system without the AB Equity()? Metric functions are just as important as the equity(); they are the next logical step. There is no escape, eventually they will be there. So, why not lead the pack? Hmmm, Coming to think of this is actually very funny :-) I remember that at the time, before we had the AB equity(), Tomasz wrote something like he is writing today: "it is doable in AFL; see Herman's AFL Equity() implementation". That was in 2002.. grrr. Shows you how slow ideas evolve in TA. I ought to have been a millionaire by now...well, perhaps next year ;-)

Paul, please look at the MA() example posted by Al V. It demonstrates the asymptotic behaviour of metrics provided by the composite solution provided by Tomasz. I do not understand how you can create, reconstruct, or reverse engineer, a period-based metric function from an all-bars solution giving true values. If it is possible please give a complete solution.

Fred, I think that the way you design systems OLE/automation is indeed the solution. However you do not represent the average AB user - you fall in the 1% of users who have the expertise to run their own show.

Indeed Fred posted (thanks again Fred!) some very nice code awhile back that I was converting to a getPerformancemetric() for posting on the UKB, however I haven't had time to finish it (major hardware problems). Let me tell you though that this is NOT something that every AB user wants to write, to make it a general function it already amounted to some 600 lines of code. And there are MAJOR headaches to make it match AA BT results - which is imo essential. Not to mention that the code should work under all conditions without errors. If there are any volunteers to finish and verify the code you may email me privately.

Tomasz, this is not a case of what is doable, it is a case of providing what is needed, and of making easy-to-use AFL tools available to everyone. This is the age of Quantitative and Automated trading; trading by the charts is mostly for beginners, aspiring traders, and investors. If one is trading a quantitative/mechanical system that cannot be backtested, does one really have a "system"? Everyone loves AFL, but everyone hates having to get involved (spend significant time and never be an expert) in learning secondary programming languages and/or sophisticated techniques, just to get some relatively simple idea of the ground. I am not claiming that it is not doable in afl. I am only 'claiming' that performance metrics that can be used easily, by everyone without a degree in programming, might put more money in a trader's pockets than 75% of the traditional indicators, or cosmetic functions, ever will.

There is a common phrase going around on this list that reads "it is easily done", "it is doable",  just in the last two weeks we have seen several examples of this. Each 'easy solution' would require one to become expert in some specialty (OLE,CBT,..) that would take at least a few months (part-time work). After that we may find out that things are not static, ahhh, we need to keep on learning. After that we find out that, surprise, we are no as smart as we thought we were - and we ask ourselves whether we are stupid or what? Then, after sweating it out and burning a lot of hours, we come to a point where we can actually test our HG idea, ahh another surprise! The idea doesn't work!!! We have all traveled this road. Time wasted, and wasted and wasted, because the tools we need to 'efficiently' develop/test ideas, are not available. Perhaps this is why TA evolves so slowly, innovation is throttled. Note that I am not critical of the AmiBroker product, it is undoubtedly the best product around.

Tomasz mention that a portfolio backtester must be called in all cases. I think portfolio trading is something like the Equity function: using as it you will NOT know how your system/stocks are interacting. You CANNOT make intelligent trading decisions based solely on the Portfolio Report. For a well-designed trading system, i.e., where one knows what is going on "inside" the system, running a portfolio backtest is the last step in system design. We need individual backtest metrics. Just because we have tools like Portfolio backtester, CBT, OLE, doesn't mean that these should be used to provide all solutions - that would exclude 95% of all users. Regarding processing time, I cannot understand why these functions cannot be based on simple (old) backtests. Why should it take a built-in function longer to calculate a metric than a user-written solution based on the equity(), CBT, OLE, and what have you. That doesn't make sense. If these metrics can be obtained suing the BT/OLE, why can't all that be placed into a formal AFL function?

Some users use composites to assess market movements. Similarly metric-composites can be used to assess 'system performance'. I think it is important to separate the various components used in system design. We have market-wide, stock-specific, individual, system, portfolio, foreign, and many other factors that should be considered individually. Who said system design was easy? :-)

That my two-nickel's worth Fred ;-) once in awhile it is fun to beat around the bush.

Herman

Ps. the length of this email proves that I finally got my hardware up and running smoothly :-) I am taking a break from the headaches, but its back to work now.