[amibroker] Re: Intraday versus EOD technique - help for a newbie please

If you are serious about day trading, and using a 1 minute or 15 minute
chart implies that is what you will be doing. Open an account at
Interactive Brokers. Their commissions are $0.005 per share with a
minimum of $1.00 per trade, $2.40 per futures contract. You will be
making a lot of trades and the low commission will save you a lot of
money. Also you will need to have an account over $25,000 if you plan
to make many trades a day. That is called day pattern trading and they
will freeze your account if you trade too much. But if you trade using
a 30 minute or hour chart and limit your trading to a few a day you can
get buy for a while.

IB has a free data feed and supports up to 100 symbols. But you don't
need to track that many. Pick a few stocks and get used to how the
behave. You will be much better off. OR consider trading one futures
contract.

The next thing you need is a good system. Trading intraday using a
short time frame will kill you during sideways periods or when the
market is turning slowly. You will get many signals and have to know
when to exit or stay with it. When I say many, IB shut me down when my
auto trading system entered over 100 trades in a few seconds. So
picking your trade is not easy.

If you use IB and their data feed you can also use AmiBrokers
AutoTrading interface. It is a free interface and you can use a simple
button pushing program, it is a formula like any other but using the
parameters you can launch trades with the push of your cursor. That is
much faster than trying to enter the trades in the brokers program, TWS
with IB. I added an indicator that allows auto trading via the
parameters of the indicator. Search "auto trading" in the AFL library.
IB also has a simulated account that will allow you to "paper trade"
your system. Use it a lot until you get used to your system.

If you plan to auto trade even using my crude interface please join ABs
auto trading forum, http://finance.groups.yahoo.com/group/AmiBroker-at/
This form of trading is nothing like trading off a static chart. You
will get signals that a static chart will not reveal. You can simulate
auto trading using a tool in AB call Bar Replay. After collecting
minute data you can play that back into your formula to see how it
reacts to transient signals you get during live trading, well almost.
Collecting 5 second data and playing that back would get even closer.

Have fun,
Barry

 --- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "triplephile" <steve.andrewes@xxx>