[amibroker] Re: Speed the database!?

or maybe a bad hard drive !!! it happened to me recently and i was
blaming everything till i tried to install xp and the format took
forever.

--- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Tomasz Janeczko" <groups@xxx>
wrote:

> IMHO it looks like you have virus on your computer that is busy
infecting all files on your hard disk.

> 10 seconds is what it takes to scan 1000 symbols on my end using
QP2 database.

> Best regards,
> Tomasz Janeczko
> amibroker.com

joke!) to move...  And I hear my computer loading, loading, loading...

>   Hmm...
>
>   Louis
>

>   2008/7/20 Louis Préfontaine <rockprog80@xxx>:
>
>     Hi Tomasz,
>
>     I thought that once I imported Metastock files the data was
going into my AB database.  In fact, when I manually open AB
database's folder, I see each and every ticker.  Are you sure the
data is in the Metastock files at that point?  (The speed issue is
not in Real-time, but in my database that goes from last July till
last week).

>     Scrolling is not immediate in my AB, even for charts with only
price and MA and portfolio equity.  It takes some time to lead when I
scroll.

>     I defragmented my hard drive, but still it is slow...
>
>     Any idea?
>
>     Thanks,
>
>     Louis
>

>     2008/7/20 Tomasz Janeczko <groups@xxx>:
>

>       No, they are NOT in AB local database. QCollector stores data
into Metastock databases and you
>       are accessing external MS database.
>
>       Also scrolling is *immediate* for any formula shipped with
AB.
>       If it is not on your end, it means that you are using
>       some formula of your own writing (or downloaded from
somewhere) that takes forever
>       to execute.
>
>       Faster? Use AmiBroker own IQFeed plugin, without man-in-the-
middle (QCollector).
>       Still MS database should be fast enough, if it is not - it
means that your hard disk is badly fragmented.

>       Best regards,
>       Tomasz Janeczko
>       amibroker.com

takes 3-4 seconds and lot of loading... Any way to speed this?

>         Thanks,
>
>         Louis
>

>         2008/7/16 Louis Préfontaine <rockprog80@xxx>:
>
>           Hi Tomasz,
>
>           I am using data that has already been downloaded with
QCollector.   Hence, I am running on a local database and what takes
like 3-4 seconds is scrolling through the 1-minute bars.  Let's say
it is Day 1 at 11:00  and I want to scroll back to Day 0, I use my
mouse wheel but for 3-4 seconds the images does not move at all, then
I hear my computer loading, then I see the bars before.  Is there a
way to make that faster?

>           Thanks,
>
>           Louis
>

>           2008/7/15 Tomasz Janeczko <groups@xxx>:
>

>             Hello,
>
>             No, it does NOT take 3-4 seconds to load each ticker.
>
>             It takes 3-4 to BACKFILL. That's huge difference.
>
>             Are you aware that you are on 256kbps connection. That
means that your fully saturated connection is able
>             to deliver about 25KB of data per second.  Now do you
have any idea how much data is one day
>             of 1-minute data?
>
>             As far as I remember you are using IQFeed. It delivers
data in ASCII format.

>             Let's say single quote line is 100 bytes.  Compressed
it is 50. Now there are 60 lines per minute and
>             480 lines per 8 hours. That's 24KB PER DAY PER SYMBOL
of 1-minute data. That means
>             that it takes 1-second FULLY SATURATED your internet
connection to deliver 1-day worth of 1-minute data for one symbol.
>             That's physical limit of your internet connection.
>
>             Yes there is a way to get it faster:
>             a) invest in better internet connection
>             b) subscribe to data source that allows those 500
symbols to be streaming
>             c) run scan with wait for backfill PRIOR to market
open. Once you initialy scan all symbol
>             UNCHECK "wait for backfill" and scans will fun blazing
fast.

>             Best regards,
>             Tomasz Janeczko
>             amibroker.com

tickers and everything, but damn it it is so slow!  It takes like 3-4
seconds to load each ticker...  Is there a way to make it run faster,
considering I don't need all the data when exploring?