RE: Re[2]: [amibroker] OT: VM for Vista64

Your understanding is correct. But I think it would be
better to reverse this: Start from the WinXP32 as the host
(you install VirtualPC on/in it) than all the issues of
drivers disappear because the VirtualPC will use XP32
drivers without knowing it. If you have no driver problems
than it makes sense and gain access to the full 8MB RAM.
You first install the Virtual PC, then you install the
"Virtual machine additions" (search for it under Action
menu) this makes it possible to size the VirtualPC window
and drag and drop between the VirtualPC and the host.
Then you tell it to use the CD drive and insert the Vista
install CD into the CD drive. This will install an operating
system into the VirtualPC. The installation process looks
and feels exactly as if you were doing a fresh install of
that operating system. No extra programming tricks are
required. You set your preferences just as you do in a real
operating system. It even runs live updates etc.
When you start the virtualPC it looks like you PC is booting
with all the sounds and welcome screen. You do get internet
access, and you can see an explorer of C: but it is a
virtual drive, you can add more virtual drives. To stop the
virtualPC you click the "Turn off computer" button! (you
then get asked if you want to save session changes)
The whole VirtualPC resides in one file the location of
which you specify initially, it is not a partition. So there
is no such thing as creating an image of (not is there a
need for it, you can just copy the file). I haven't used it
enough to tell how to access actual physical drive. I tried
to map a drive and could not see my hosts' physical drives.
All I used it for was to try out new software to see any
surprises. It may be possible. But even if it wasn't, since
you can drag and drop between the host and the virtual
machine, you can always use that route to transfer
information between the machines.
If you do try it, why don't you report your findings?

Joseph Biran