[amibroker] Re: Sector Analysis

Louis,

Glad to be able to help you along a little.

> explaining why you don't go in faster timeframe.  Would it mean
>that if you
> have (had?) a broadband connection you might consider going to tick?

No, I wouldn't go to tick, or ATR, right now because I have plenty on
my plate - more than I can eat (I have more than enough working
systems/tradeable ideas, already, to see me to the end of my trading
days - I am winding back on R&D and moving towards office hours).

I might go into it at a future date but only to make my trading
easier, by automating some aspects, or as a 'study piece'......

(to pass a music exam, say on the piano, the student has to
demonstrate competence in a range of styles, that require different
technical competence, some of which they don't have an affinity for
and/or find more difficult than others).

I think we trade better if we are competent in all of the main facets
of trading - ATR and/or tick trading are major and relatively new
areas so it would be worth my while to learn the basics.

Programming and maths are my weakest links so I have made a special
effort with maths (mainly stats with trading relevance) - I would
still benefit from some extra effort with programming skills.

brian_z

--- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Louis
Préfontaine" <rockprog80@xxx> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> This is a six years old post?!  In my gmail it shows as a July 2008
post...
> or maybe I missed something...
>
> Anyway, that was great Brian!  It gives me a lot to think about.
>
> However in your post you talk about the speed of your internet
connection
> explaining why you don't go in faster timeframe.  Would it mean
that if you
> have (had?) a broadband connection you might consider going to tick?
>
> Wow I can't believe that was 6 years ago.  Seems like nothing
changed in the
> market! ;-)  Or maybe it's simply the bear again!
>
> Thanks a lot,
>
> Louis
>
> 2008/7/8 brian_z111 <brian_z111@xxx>:
>
> >   Louis,
> >
> > Our last posts crossed.
> >
> > Briefly (I have to go right now but I often extend my posts at a
> > later time, aor in a different place, so more might pop up later)
> >

> > > But even if you say this is not
> > > discretionnary trading, how can you backtest and really
optimize or
> > >test a
> > > strategy that rely on visual and discretionary decisions?
> >
> > You can't.
> >
> > Nor can you defy the laws of mathematics (statistics) etc.
> >
> > I am not going against the principles of system design testing and
> > evaluation.
> > I am saying I am competent enough to apply them with a limited
amount
> > of discretion (after the systems boundaries have been established
by
> > observation and testing).
> >
> > This particular system doesn't involve otpimizing - there are no
> > lookbacks and nothing to optimize (that is not to say that a
trader
> > with a highly analytical approach couldn't squeeze more out of the
> > trade and/or work more variations).
> >
> > Market behaviour isn't going to change anytime soon - if, and when
> > it does, my trade will disappear from the screen.
> >
> > I have backtested the fundamental trade template, that underlies
the
> > trade (that was easy enough to do) - small things, that change on
> > daily basis, can't be backtested (e.g. the data might not exist)
it
> > might be too hard for me to do (but possible for others) or the
> > backtesting overheads, to go the extra mile, not worth it to me
> > personally).
> >
> > Note: components of the system are endemic to the markets and I
have
> > tested those thing to exhaustion in the past - now I put them
> > straigHt into the trade without the need to keep going over and
over
> > the same things.
> >
> > What parts of it are discretionary?
> >
> > Examples:
> >
> > - the setup might be there but there is not enough volatility
around
> > so, in practise, I would sit there all day to scrape a draw or a
win
> > (I will just pull out of the trade) - on paper it would backtest
as a
> > small win.
> >
> > - the setup doesn't look exactly the same every single day - the
> > underlying cause is persistent but the daily mood/individual
> > behaviours can change it a little or even abort it (I have to
decide
> > if it is good to go or not, based on relative information e.g. if
in
> > doubt I can look at something else, that I don't always look at,
> > see what it is doing).
> >
> > Specific example:
> >
> > Australian market time, something can change dramatically in Asia
and
> > impact on the trade I am in - in a backtest that could register
as a
> > big loser - in reality I might have pulled out of the trade early,
> > based on news OR price fluctuations in the Asian markets -
possibly I
> > would only avoid part of the extreme losses - but in reality can
you
> > and do you backtest those things.
> >
> > brian_z
> >
> > --- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <amibroker%40yahoogroups.com>,
"Louis
> > Préfontaine"
> > <rockprog80@> wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi Brian,
> > >
> > > I hope I understood your first paragraph correctly, and if it is
> > the case,
> > > then I'll do my best.
> > >
> > > Thank you for sharing your ideas. But even if you say this is
not
> > > discretionnary trading, how can you backtest and really
optimize or
> > test a
> > > strategy that rely on visual and discretionary decisions?
> > >
> > > Louis

> > so
Jayson but

> > say

smoothing
> > there
> > way,
> > of
> > in an
international
> > tax

> > seeing

> > well
> > will
> > the

> > (AB/IB/ATR)

> > the

> > studies,
> > into
> > doesn't
> > the
> > in

> > the

<amibroker%40yahoogroups.com><amibroker%
> > 40yahoogroups.com>,

win

> > like
> > gauge a