RE: [amibroker] Re: Paul Ho: Memory Challenges with Great Ranking Tool

Bruce:

Thanks for giving me another way to go.

In case you have been following (or remember) this topic from a ways back,
Fred was generous enough to write me a code concept for doing all of this
(but end of range only) and I successfully converted it to my "endpoint"
recipe of 11 or so indicators. It did ok for relatively large watchlists
(even the RUT) but could not handle very well some much larger watchlists in
the many 1000s.  But, it gave me a combined ranking on any end point date I
set in the AA window.  My absolute minimum requirement is to create
combo-rank-scores on a monthly basis but I was pleasantly surprised when
Paul Ho served up a concept to create daily combo-rank-scores on a daily
basis, but then euphoria changed to despair as I encountered the n^2 time
factor.

So, thanks to you and others I have a variety of ways to consider getting to
the end of this problem.

1.  Your suggestion of normalized indicators and using a final percentage
value as the combo rank.

2.  Taking Fred's code and finding a way to manipulate the EndofRange date,
basically repeating his code over and over on the same watchlist but with
changing EndofRange dates. (I still have to do something with the collection
of combo-scores I will accumulate by date, but that is another issue.*** see
below)  I have even considered manually repeating the process to the end
point (only 12 runs per year x the 8 years I want to test over).

3.  Taking Paul Ho's code which ranks daily and either living with the
limitation in the Watchlist population or running the thing over night.
Since I have speed problems now with 2 indicators and 150+ symbols, I
probably will drop off the cliff with 11 indicators and the same 150+
symbols.  An alternate which I plan to test next is to see how Paul's code
performs on a Weekly or even Monthly compressed basis, although if symbol
number is controlling and not barcount, then this will not do much good.)

4.  Using Tomasz's suggestion of the custombacktester, making 11 separate
runs, then somehow combining the 11 different output reports, coming up with
a combo-rank that way.

If you were approaching this, can you guess and say which approach you would
concentrate on.  Right now, number 4 looks like it actually might be the
least programming and execution intensive, but I am not sure.  I also have
to have a way of updating the entire system as time goes forward.  That will
bring an additional set of challenges I am sure.

Thanks for stepping in.

Ken

*** Paul Ho shared a small COM code snippit that sticks an indicator nicely
into the OI field of a symbol, so that is the approach I want to take once I
have the combo-rank to stick in the right place.  Talk about complex......

PS: Bruce, if you are still reading, would I have a better chance of
executing my task in Trade vs Amibroker (sorry Thomasz)?