[amibroker] Re: Fundamental data for Australian stocks

Extending my comments FTR:

Re: where is the Aus Fdata and could it possibly be downloaded by
AmiQuote?

Based on some scanty evidence, and a lot of wild guessing, the answer
is Yes (theoretically).

The .auYahoo site appears to be a reconfiguration of what is on the
Yahoo US servers.

Practicality is another matter with different fields (in some cases)
and no defintions of the fields at the Aus site.
Also the .au 'site' auto adds a .AX suffix to any symbol (at least in
the browser).  Possibly ticker lists couldn't be mixed US/Aus so, on
the outside chance that Tomasz ever did want to implement an Aussie
AmiQuote, there might be a problem with auto-downloading mixed
databases?

brian_z

--- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "brian_z111" <brian_z111@xxx> wrote:

> > Brian what do you think ?
>
> I did quite a bit of homework on the subject, at the time that
Tomasz
> was 'writing' the fundamental feature into AmiQuote, and shared
that
> info with Tomasz.
>
> I don't recall if the .au site had Fdata at that time, or not - I
> think it did have something along those lines.
>
> Tomasz is certainly well informed on these issues and has
considered
> them in the past.
>
> As it stands now:
>
> - the US stocks Fdata is supplied by CapitalIQ (or another US
> company) and is at e.g.  http://finance.yahoo.com/q/ks?s=IBM
>
> - AQ accesses the US server to import current Fdata for US stocks
> (because only US stocks are in that database)
>
> - there have been changes to the .au site recently (franchised to
TV7
> etc)
> - AspectHuntley is a recent addition
> - the Fdata info that is there now is quite valueable (the
stability
> figures cost AUD$100's to access fully from elsewhere)
> - the limit on the value is that they are current values only and
> don't have any historical depth (useful only for screening)
although
> I think the stability figures use 5 years of earnings/divs in their
> calc
> - the .au Fdata is possibly, but not necessarily, on a local server
> and is accessed from
> http://au.finance.yahoo.com/q/aks?s=WBC.AX
> - the fields etc at the .au 'site' are entirely different from the
US
> Fdata (it is using the underlying database that Huntley started
that
> has been purchased by other co's over the years and he had his own
> thing going - I think he was an accountant, or orientated that way,
> and kept a full financial database on all Aus stock - listed and
> delisted) e.g. the sectors appear to be non-GIC, possibly ICB
> - the historical price data for .AX stocks comes from the same
server
> as US stocks.
>

> Personally:
>
> I use different strategies at different times, some of them involve
> extra data (above and beyond price data).
>
> Yes, I use Yahoo data on occasions, in fact I have been at the
Yahoo
> sites (USA and AUS) quite a bit this week (I have been thinking
about
> a new strategy and I can open a few tabs in IE/Yahoo, use the 1 day
> or 5 day intraday charts and setup relative performance graphs for
> few stocks then view them easily by going from tab to tab -
although
> delayed it is good enough for intitial strategic thinking).
>
> I haven't used any Aus Fdata for a while but it I am using it again
> in a new strategy e.g. I am interested in Capital filtering. I am
> hunting around again for Oz sources - I do find it very frustrating
> having to work so hard to find extra data and then work hard again
> get it into AB where I can use it.
>
> Strangely:
>
>  you can get price data for .AX from yahoo.au but I have been
getting
> a lot of server error messages, so I go to the US site and do that
> from there,
>
> but!
>
> the US site now uses Java charts and I prefer the old style, that
you
> can still get at the .au site (you can't arrow back to previous
pages
> with a Java chart),
>
> and!
>
> the US site has a new symbol search feature which is nice but
doesn't
> return a good old fashioned database search list so I have to use
> the .au symbol search for some things.
>

> The Software/Fdatabase/Pricedatabase combo is rare  - I have been
> dreaming about one for a few years.
>
> I have carried out extensive searches in the past.
> AFAIK there is still not a useable 'off the shelf' combo out there,
> not for international OR Aus trading anyway (maybe for those who
stay
> in the US, which is why I keep my hand in with that market).
>
> Believe it or not, good old Yahoo (some say poor old Yahoo) is
still
> the easiest place for certain types of research (if you are hopping
> from strategy to strategy, country to country, asset to asset etc
it
> can be very time consuming changing providers all of the time, and
> trying to get what you want, whereas with AB/Yahoo you can often
> patch something together).
>
> brian_z
>

> --- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "pacific5_au" <pacific5_au@>
> wrote: