[amibroker] Re: JimSwindle> US STOCKS DATABASE UPDATE

Richard,  thanks for your comment.  I use to subscribe to the TC2005
data service and have nothing but good things to say about them.  For
a number of unimportant reasons I dropped their service and started
using Yahoo.  It meets my needs.  Although I have noticed more data
related issues now that those tasks and responsibilities fall on my
shoulders - it hasn't been too bad.  20 changes per day is a lot! In
one week or month that would add up to a task that I am not sure I
would want to tackle.

That is another reason why I think that program would be of value.

--- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Richard Dale" <richard@xxx> wrote:

> For what it's worth, there have been around 2328 code changes this year
> already on the US markets.  That's about 20 a day.  The code changes
can be
> due to a company changing its name (and trading code), or changing its
> primary listed exchange (e.g. a stock going from NASDAQ to NYSE).
>
> This is one of the big reasons that many people decide to use the
services
> of a commercial data vendor rather than spending hours maintaining a
> database of security prices.  Would you rather spend time developing
trading
> systems or maintaining your data?
>
> Best regards,
> Richard Dale.
> Norgate Investor Services
> - Premium quality Stock, Futures and Foreign Exchange Data for
>   markets in Australia, Asia, Canada, Europe, UK & USA -
> www.premiumdata.net

On Behalf
> [...]
>
> I would be interested in this program. But all I am looking for is a
> program that creates a list of symbols. What would be nice is for it
> to "compare" a current download to a previous download and have a
> report generated showing what was added and what is missing.
>
> That way I can decide which stocks to add to my own database.
>
> The benefit to me is that I don't have to strip out symbols from the
> pink sheets or OTC BB.
>
> Amiquote does a great job of downloading the data and don't see a need
> to replace that functionality.
>
> As for the price .. that would depend on the functionality that you
> decide to put into it. Will it work with just Yahoo?
>
> Regards,
> MM
>
> --- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "dingo" <dingo@> wrote:
> >
> > There is not a separate list of added / deleted stocks - Yahoo just
> updates
> > their site on the fly. You would need to build a new list and
compare it
> > with those in the database. There is a trail of Yahoo pages that
> contains
> > what they consider to be the stocks avail in the US - grouped by
> sector /
> > industry. These pages have to be scraped to get the tickers and
> names. Then
> > a problem arises when you go to down load quotes for the entire list
> that
> > you've built by scraping - Yahoo doesn't have quotes for all of
them and
> > some have even had their tickers changed but the pages haven't been
> updated
> > yet. Plus, you also get pink sheet stocks and other "stuff". The
> > etfs, mutual funds, etc are all on their own pages and would have
to be
> > scraped also.
> >
> > I've done some of this in a program I wrote several years ago - it
even
> > updates the quotes and can be scheduled via the scheduler. It will
> retireve
> > historical, current and fundamental data. What it doesn't do at
> present is
> > detect those stocks that have no quotes or that have ceased trading
> - those
> > that give an error msg when you try to use Amiquote. It also does NOT
> > update the database - it just builds them and updates the quotes. I
> stopped
> > working on it because I thought TJ was going to address this and
> decided not
> > put any more of my time into it.
> >
> > I can be talked into finishing it but I won't do it for free - I
> done quite
> > a few free programs for AB and won't do that any more.
> >
> > Soooo - what's a price that people are willing to pay and and how
> many would
> > be interested. If theres not that much interest then I won't bother.

STOCKS
> > SOMEHOW.
> >
> > Thanks

Yahoo has