[amibroker] Re: Adding data to field in existing symbol database.

--- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Ken Close <ken45140@xxx> wrote:

If you want to use an empty field such as OI, then you could use a
script to parse the CSV and then use the OLE interface to set the
OpenInt Property on the Quotation object.

Tuzo

> Chris: thanks for getting back....replies are below in CAPS:
>
>   _____

On Behalf
> Of Chris DePuy
> Sent: Monday, June 02, 2008 12:39 PM
> To: amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Subject: Re: [amibroker] Adding data to field in existing symbol
database.

> Ken, I think you are asking whether you can add information to the
Amibroker
> database that is not related to O,H,L,C,V, OI from a source that is
> different from Amiquote, right?
> YES, THIS IS WHAT I WANT TO DO.  THE SOURCE WOULD BE AN EXTERNAL CSV
FILE OR
> PERHAPS A TABLE(S) FROM A MYSQL DATABASE.
>
> If so, I'm afraid that ASCII import is probably your best bet.  The
way I've
> done that is to create a dummy ticker like QQQQa and then put
information
> into the O array of QQQQa that relates to, say, bids and information
into
> the H array of QQQQa for, say, asks.
> AT FIRST, I SHY AWAY FROM CREATING A DUMMY TICKER BECAUSE I NEED TO
DO MY
> PROCESS ON A LOT OF SYMBOLS, ALMOST ALL OF THE SYMBOLS IN THE FASTTRACK
> DATABASE (9500+). BUT MAYBE THIS IS THE ONLY WAY.
>
> Then, in order to operate on this information, one relatively
> straightforward way is to use the Foreign command, like Foreign
> ("QQQQa","O") when you need to retrieve bids.  Or you could have
amibroker
> retrieve these fields on demand (in your code) using fopen commands
from a
> .csv format.  or you could retrieve from .csv and put into static
variables.
> Or you could use the sql retrieval process made available by Amibroker.
> NOW ALL OF THESE APPROACHES ARE SEPARATE FROM THE ASCII IMPORT THAT
YOU SAID
> "IS PROBABLY MY BEST BET".  I NEED TO RETRIEVE THE KEY PARAMETER I
WANT TO
> SAVE FOR EVERY SYMBOL FOR EVERY DATE THERE IS A QUANTITY AVAILABLE
(MONTHLY
> DATA) BECAUSE THAT QUANTITY WILL BECOME A RANKING VARIABLE FOR
BACKTESTING
> PURPOSES, PROBABLY USING IT, IN SOME MODIFIED FORM, AS THE
POSITIONSCORE FOR
> A ROTATIONAL BACKTEST.
>
> CAN YOU SHARE (OR EMAIL ME DIRECTLY) SOME SAMPLE CODE FOR THE
RETRIEVAL PART
> USING FOPEN. THE SQL RETRIEVAL PROCESS IS ALSO VERY INTERESTING
BECAUSE THE
> RANKING VARIABLE I WANT TO USE IS NOW ENSCONCED IN MYSQL DATA
TABLES, ONE
> TABLE FOR EACH DATE (MONTHLY) THAT THE RANKING PARAMETER WAS CREATED
FOR.

> THIS WOULD HELP ME TREMENDOUSLY IN UNDERSTANDING THE STEPS AND FORMATS
> NEEDED FOR THE CODE FOR SUCH OPERATIONS.  EXAMPLES I HAVE FOUND IN HELP
> FILES AND OTHER MESSAGES ARE JUST TOO SPARSE OR NOT RELEVANT FOR
LEARNING