Re: [amibroker] Position sizing off a stop

/*EXAMPLE
---------------------------*/

// set your stop in points
stop =
1.5;

// calculate stop distance relative to entry level in %
chg =
IIf(Buy,100* stop/BuyPrice,

IIf(Short,100* stop/ShortPrice,Null));

// Set your risk parameter as % of Equity /trade
risk =
1;

/* Simple Equation Follows:
PositionSize * chg =  equty * riks
OR
PositionSize = equity * (risk/chg)
----------------------------------------*/

ApplyStop(stopTypeLoss, stopModePoint,stop);
SetPositionSize(Nz(risk/chg)*100, spsPercentOfEquity);

As far as concerns the "dynamic" leverage, the backtester will check if you have sufficient funds to enter the trade according to the margin parameter that you set yourself.

:-)
reminds me of a Master card commercial that sounds more or less like this:

"Opening an account with a broker - Master Card: $200;
Buying the best analytical software - Master Card: $300;
Not knowing how to calculate your stop: PRICELESS !!!"

droskill wrote:
Say I want to do position sizing based on the distance to a stop.  For
example, say I want to size based on overall portfolio risk.  I've
tried the following code:

PositionSize = -5*Buyprice/(Buyprice*0.12);

But that doesn't generate any trades.  So, I'm guessing the code is
way, way wrong - can anyone help me out here?

Second related question: let's say position sizing using this method
results in the use of leverage.  How can I make the leverage dynamic
so that the system automatically scales to the required leverage for
the system?

Thanks,

Damian