[amibroker] Re: How to attach a file in Wordpress

Tomasz,

Some feedback for you.

1 - WORDPRESS FILES

Is there anyway now for users to delete old files.

It is not an important point but FTR:

- before if I wanted to work with attached files I uploaded from the
WP panel and deleted redundant versions there first (AFAIK the file
wasn't actually deleted from the server but I am not sure about that
one) - typically I would then upload the modified file using the
original file name.

Is there a way for users to delete their old files now?

When I downloaded the post from the UKB back to my desktop the file
link was added to the post but of course the link pointed to the
server version.

- now I can upload files from WLW (it uses a slightly different HTML
syntax called "smart content").

If I modify my local attached file, on my desktop, and repost from
WLW, and force the issue, it will automatically rename the file by
appending 1, 2 etc to the filename as it is loaded to the UKB server -
 it is a very easy method for users but you will end up with a lot of
file versions on your server (if there are lots of users) - the
positive is that the user can roll back to previous file versions if
they want to (I guess they would have to liase with you about how to
do that).

Paul - I'm not 100% sure of the implications but:

- useing WLW/Scotts file attachment plugin
-  the link in the WLW post will point to your local address and
changed OR renamed versions will be uploaded if you want to do that
(good for users - not so good for servers?)
- for example, after posting don't save a draft and reopen your post
from the recently posted list then 'right click' on the attachment
link (show properties opens a properties sidebar - click on 'change
files' and the input dialog box will reopen and you can see the
address to the file is a your local address).
- if you want to force a new file version onto the server click on
insert in that box (if not click on cancel) it will adopt the old
link/linktitle unless you tell it otherwise
- it is worth changing WLW to HTML view to see the code that is being
used and changed as the file attachments change (the server address
is there after downloading your post from the server).

- I haven't checked what happens when you move your local file OR
figured how to turn this 'feature' off.

2 - WLW to WORDPRESS

I learnt a lot about publishing basics from the UKB.

Since then I have read a bit further and I can tell you that for lay
publishers WindowsLiveWriter is hard to beat e.g. Joomla uses TinyMCE
as the default editor and users have to go out of their way if they
want to change that.

Also the desktop -> website combo is very good (as always it gets
around the clunkiness of websites).

So, for straight out blog publishing it is 4/5 stars.

No matter where people publish keeping abreast of software updates
and customising the site are always ongoing issues.

Cheers,

brian_z

--- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Tomasz Janeczko" <groups@xxx>
wrote:

> Hello,
>
> It uploads OK, even if the message says otherwise.
> All  uploaded files are available in appropriate folder:
> http://www.amibroker.org/userkb/wp-content/uploads/2008/05/
>
> Best regards,
> Tomasz Janeczko
> amibroker.com

any kind of file at all, not even any media files.
>   I subsequently used window live writer to sucessfully upload a
zipped file. Can you take a look at your server please?
>   Brian
>   Just to take sure it is not a problem on my end, can you try to
upload a "safe" file through wordpress site admin and tell me if it
is successful.