[amibroker] Re: System Performance Indicators [was: Can someone fix this OLE code?]

If we define the FrontEnd as where we trade (AB as trading platform,
AT or as a cue for manual entry of trades) and the BackEnd as
SystemDesign&Evaluation then, so far I haven't found a use for
PerformanceMetrics at the FrontEnd.

To me the BackEnd is where we analyse a sample of trades (the trade
series) as part of the design process (just as you have described it).

I have also plotted performance metrics, as visual learning aids (I
scroll from stock to stock comparing how my system ideas look in
different symbols/instruments/assests).

I also create metric reports, via explorations, for a W/L of stocks
etc for similar reasons.

(The methods that have come out of this thread give me more efficient
ways to do that).

In that regard I consider them to be tools that are part of the SD&E
process.

If SD&E is the production line then the trades I take are the product.
I don't see any benefit in adjusting the production line based on
what I observe from a short production run.

I think we should be careful as to what we call portfolio trading.
I don't see taking a few trades, from the total number available in a
W/L of stocks, as portfolio trading.

To me Portfolio Trading is where we use MoneyManagement, the profile
of the trade and correlation to make our decisions in a synthetic way.

In simple terms our ObjectiveFunction/FitnessMeasure should include
MM, correlation and the trade profile, as parameters, and be chosen
by backtesting and then adjusted after a reasonable number trades (if
ongoing adjustment is the users policy).

Once again, IMO, that adjustment should be made in the backend and
not at the front.

Having said that, I understand the arguments for equity curve trading.
I personally reject them but if others succeed with that method good
luck to them.

brian_z

--- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Fred Tonetti <ftonetti@xxx> wrote:

> Personally I only use performance metrics in the following ways .
>

> -          As feedback to know how my in sample performs i.e. an
initial
> milestone
>
> -          As additional feedback to compare out of sample results
with in
> sample and/or to constant yardsticks to get a feel for whether or
not a
> system is tradable
>
> -          As ongoing feedback to determine whether or not it is
time to
> reoptimize and/or redevelop
>

> I've been down the road you are on but for me it was in essence a
dead end.
> I hope you have better success with it.
>

>   _____

On Behalf
> Of Herman
> Sent: Thursday, May 22, 2008 6:40 AM
> To: Fred Tonetti
> Cc: amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Subject: Re: [amibroker] Re: System Performance Indicators [was:
Can someone
> fix this OLE code?]
>

> Thank you very much Fred,
>

> When using performance metrics in system design they have (imo)
more meaning
> if they should be based on single price/equity arrays. I think that
> portfolio metrics should not be used for anything else then to tell
you how
> your portfolio system performs.
>

> herman
>

> For tips on developing Real-Time Auto-Trading systems visit:
>
> http://www.amibroke <http://www.amibroker.org/userkb/> r.org/userkb/
>

> Wednesday, May 21, 2008, 5:50:54 PM, you wrote:
>

> Herman,
>

> I modified the script to allow running Explore's as well as the
variety of
> different types of Backtests and Optimizes all based on the command
line
> arguments you supply
>

> See the notes at the top of the Script as to how to use and the
default
> values.
>

> I also renamed the Script to RunAA since that is now more
appropriate.

> Individual Backtests appear to run significantly faster than
Portfolio

fullfeatured@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

unsubscribe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>